masks or paths

Started by DigiCorn, April 07, 2011, 09:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I haven't had an Illustrator problem in a while, but this one is a doozy. A customer sent a file with a photo and a rounded corner mask. I have checked in outline mode, and tried to ungroup/release path/release mask and it isn't working. If I move the photo, it remains within the mask and crops off. I need to move the mask and photo together, but the mask remains locked down. I have unlocked everything, and it won't budge. I can't figure out how this guy created this mask/path. Any ideas?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Is the image linked or embedded?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

It was embedded. They provided the .psd file... but it was the same file in image, but a different size physically, so not the same image placed. I rebuilt the mask and relinked the image as a workaround, but I'd like to know how to have fixed the existing.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Did the PSD file have a clipping mask in it?

David

ungroup maybe?

have you tried selecting the image  or the mask with the direct selection tool (the hollow arrow)?

have you tried to release the mask multiple times?
I've had images in a mask that were then placed inside another mask.    yeah, just go ahead and beat me...  too creative for their own good
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

So the whole thing won't move with your selection tool (black arrow)? Is it on a locked layer?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Layer is not locked (I know it looks locked in the photo, but it still won't move when all are unlocked).
Not grouped. Can't ungroup, remove mask, expand or do anything in regards to paths, except make new ones.
No clipping path in the .psd, but like I said, the embedded image and the .psd provided were different. Definitely a size difference between the files, but content was the same. If there were a .psd clipping path, wouldn't it show in Outline mode?
My workaround was to delete what's there, replace the image and redraw the mask (and reapply the color transparency overlay they applied).
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Was it built by a designer or intern?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

have you tried finding the mask in the layers? maybe that will give you a clue to what they did
oh and select it from the layers too.

DigiCorn

I attached a screen shot. It doesn't ppear in the layering, nor does the item identify anything other than a "opacity mask"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

so, when you're in wireframe mode, there is no path or what could possibly be a mask outline?
is it some kind of layer effect maybe?
double click on the layer name and see if it's got some weird setting on it.

oh, what version of Illy?
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

in your second screen shot, it says there are 2 paths with 16 points, you can't see these?
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

CS5 for Windows.
Nope - can't see the hidden path, even in wireframe, and it's not a layer effect.
It acts just like a mask, only I can't select the mask portion - only the photo. I can extract the art (cut and paste) outside the mask, but can't select the mask by itself, either to move it or change its dimensions.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Did you get the file as 12055.ai or resave in Illy? Was it built in Illy?

Joe

I think you might get more help if you coould post a link to the file. It's hard to diagnose something by just a description.