masks or paths

Started by DigiCorn, April 07, 2011, 09:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: Joe on April 07, 2011, 05:42:51 PMI would hate to guess how much time the deziner spent on creating that mess.

I'm now too scared to even look. This afternoon, if feeling braver, I may....   :undecided:    Sounds like it's beyond Illy 101.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Syphon

I see what the designer did after looking at the file.

If you click on the "womanPointing.psd" group, then look into the Transparency panel to see that it is a Opacity Mask. Click on the mask in the Transparency panel then go to the Layer panel to find the drawn mask. What the designer did was place the photo first, drawn the path to be used as the mask, cut (or copy) the mask, open Transparency panel and click Make Opacity Mask, click on opacity mask and paste the mask. Finally, with the mask still selected, fill the mask with a white fill.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

gnubler

That hurts, Syphon. I commend you.

I guess my question is: why?

Does anyone else here miss the simplicity of paste-up on the light table?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Other than the chicken wire background the whole thing could have been done in InDesign relatively easy without creating a billion different objects, masks, clipping masks, opacity masks. The only thing accomplished was to make it a lot harder than what it should have been.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Someyimes if you have a tough time ungrouping, you can select the grouped items, then go to Object menu/Expand Appearance. Normally that works for me when I need to pick specific items out of an grouped item that won't "ungroup".
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on April 08, 2011, 02:11:29 AMOther than the chicken wire background the whole thing could have been done in InDesign relatively easy without creating a billion different objects, masks, clipping masks, opacity masks. The only thing accomplished was to make it a lot harder than what it should have been.

I'd be happy they didn't do the whole thing in PS.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on April 08, 2011, 02:11:29 AMthe whole thing should have been done in...

I feel this way with 97% of files we get. It's like people intentionally use the wrong tool to get something done.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 08, 2011, 08:34:04 AM
Quote from: Joe on April 08, 2011, 02:11:29 AMOther than the chicken wire background the whole thing could have been done in InDesign relatively easy without creating a billion different objects, masks, clipping masks, opacity masks. The only thing accomplished was to make it a lot harder than what it should have been.

Illustrator, in the wrong hands, can create just as crappy files as Photoshop. :banghead:

gnubler

Agreed. Some of the vector artwork I've been *researching* from The Turko is so convoluted and grouped10 that I just trash it because it's not worth trying to pick apart.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: Joe on April 08, 2011, 09:34:54 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 08, 2011, 08:34:04 AM

Illustrator, in the wrong hands, can create just as crappy files as Photoshop. :banghead:
Shoot, InDesign too! I've seen some real scary stuff in all three. As mentioned before, I'm amazed at the complexity of simple things created by dezignerz. Man, who has all that time? I'm too ADD for that crap.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Yeah, I see that too. Designers really like to "show off" their mad Illustrator skills though because that's what all serious artists do. I'll bet the person that did the files in this thread spent weeks on creating it and digisig still had to tear it apart and re-do it. Only to be printed and thrown in the trash can.

gnubler

Print is so fulfilling. The work is rewarding.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 08, 2011, 01:01:00 PMPrint is so fulfilling. The work is rewarding.

Like curing sick babies in Africa fulfilling?

Farabomb

like masturbating with a cheese grater fulfilling.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I want to start spreading happiness and joy throughout the known universe, it's more rewarding, and will take less time.

leaves more time for beer.

really, cheese grater?
use a Microplane, it's more "neuvo".
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca