İnteractive magazine

Started by zmsakarya, May 19, 2011, 03:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zmsakarya

hi. i learned indesign for about 3-4 months. Now it is aciton time. i want to design an interactive magazine. it will be full with mostly long articles and few amount pictures. i will publish this as i site under a domain, probably i will do it as a swf and downloadable pdf version (not  html).i want this very easy readable. My question is the size, as below you can see different size's, i write them in order that i choose. Can you plesase help about the size.
1.760×800 This fits to my 15¨screen well (i like it)
2.1024×768 This one is generally recomended size but height is short
3.960×600 This size is recomended by a frien but this can not be so usefull i think

Joe

Common page size for a web page these days is 1024 x 768. Some will tell you 800 x 600 is acceptable but not in my book.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

800 x 600 is generally too small now. You can safely design for 1024x768 and it will work for *most* users.

You may have a 15" screen and like it, but there's a million variations on display size, resolution, hand held devices, etc. Have fun.  :sarcasm:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 19, 2011, 10:15:36 AM800 x 600 is generally too small now. You can safely design for 1024x768 and it will work for *most* users.

You may have a 15" screen and like it, but there's a million variations on display size, resolution, hand held devices, etc. Have fun.  :sarcasm:

Don't get me started on hand held devices. Personally I find 1024 x 768 to be a little small for my 20" iMac but it is the standard for those still using those crappy 15" monitors.

gnubler

I also have a 20" iMac and for me it is small. Then there's people with smaller and with larger monitors, but you have no idea how their resolution is set.

This is why web dev is such an utter joy.

I built a Joomla site a couple yrs ago and installed a plugin for it to auto-detect iPhones and shit and pull from a new template (customer request). It kinda worked but generally I don't give a flip about handheld displays.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 19, 2011, 11:13:30 AMI also have a 20" iMac and for me it is small. Then there's people with smaller and with larger monitors, but you have no idea how their resolution is set.

This is why web dev is such an utter joy.

I built a Joomla site a couple yrs ago and installed a plugin for it to auto-detect iPhones and shit and pull from a new template (customer request). It kinda worked but generally I don't give a flip about handheld displays.

Truthfully, it's no worse than prepress.

gnubler

I'll take prepress anytime. I got busy again at work and haven't been able to work on our site for a few days now.

BLISS. My mood has been like 12% better than normal (which is normally very, very low)

Joe

gnubler

zmsakarya

Thanks...
İ single page it seems the best choice (1024x768), but is this best choice again at facing pages as in my example, or let me show like this
1.http://medyamekan.com/pdf/1024x768.pdf  - Facing Pages as i want to do
2.http://medyamekan.com/pdf/1024x768-non-facing.pdf - Non-facing pages

Joe

I would look into software like this for interactive publishing. It can do single or facing pages and lets the user zoom in if necessary. Most of these types of software also have the ability for users to download a PDF if they prefer.

http://www.3d-book.com/Production-Premium/FlipBook.html?gclid=CPzZtefm-qgCFQbCKgod5XLiRg

zmsakarya

Thanks for link but i will doit by myself and mostly interactive one, i only confused by the best size in facing pages

Joe

The most common size for web content is 1024 x 768. It doesn't really matter whether they are single pages or facing pages. Users are not going to switch resolution on the fly between viewing a single page and facing pages.