multi-level die

Started by DigiCorn, October 31, 2011, 11:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I have a Mercedes logo I am creating a multi-level die for. It's also printing as a spot color and was provided to me as a CMYK pdf. It's printing as a 5-color job, with the logo as a spot color. I can always strip it twice and just have the logo and other spot color items print as K and write on the plate what the spot color is, but I'd prefer to change it to the proper spot color. Problem is that the logo has a lot of vectors, and they are not all screens of K. Some have C and M mixed in. I could also rasterize the logo and make a clipping path, but again I'd prefer to use the sharper vectors as this image is about 6" x 6" in size. This could just as easily be a Pitstop question as the conversion tool fails to convert it to the spot color properly. Selecting the image and apply in Illy makes is all solid and not screened and I'd prefer to not have to select each of the vectors and convert manually. Major brain fart here as I can't remember how I've done this in the past.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Open it in Illustrator. I have to do it all the time... even though I totally object to it. You have to work with what you have. Way easier to do in AI, then Pitstop.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Global change each color should work but may take some time selecting and changing each individual color if there are a lot.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

can you do  "edit/edit colors/recolor artwork" in illy? Might have to convert to grayscale first - had good luck playing around with this, couldn't tell you step by step though.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 31, 2011, 11:33:19 AMOpen it in Illustrator. I have to do it all the time... even though I totally object to it. You have to work with what you have. Way easier to do in AI, then Pitstop.

Too many vectors and screens to change manually.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on October 31, 2011, 11:35:45 AMcan you do  "edit/edit colors/recolor artwork" in illy? Might have to convert to grayscale first - had good luck playing around with this, couldn't tell you step by step though.
Yeah... I was playing with this. Slow going and I don't think it's working globally.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 31, 2011, 11:36:56 AM
Quote from: t-pat on October 31, 2011, 11:35:45 AMcan you do  "edit/edit colors/recolor artwork" in illy? Might have to convert to grayscale first - had good luck playing around with this, couldn't tell you step by step though.
Yeah... I was playing with this. Slow going and I don't think it's working globally.

must select the artwork you want to recolor. keep playing, it'll probably work.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on October 31, 2011, 11:39:00 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on October 31, 2011, 11:36:56 AM

must select the artwork you want to recolor. keep playing, it'll probably work.
Got it. Need to set it for "Monochromatic" and define spot color variations in 5% increments ahead of conversion.

[edited] forgot to include screen shot
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

handy - don't use it often enough to remember all what's involved though.
vdp donkey

Syphon

The way I often do it:

1. First create/choose the spot color swatch and save to your Swatch Panel. Select the artwork and choose Recolor Artwork.
2. Under the "Assign" tab, change the Preset to 1 color job. In the dialog box, change the Library from None to Document Swatches. Click okay.
3. Double click the swatch under the "New" column. In the dialog box, chose the spot color swatch you created and click okay.

And that's it. Your artwork should be one spot color.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

t-pat

thanks - a little more accurate than "just keep playing with it until it works" :)
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Sorry, I assumed we all knew how to use Illustrator. :laugh: Especially you box guys.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 01, 2011, 01:00:45 PMSorry, I assumed we all knew how to use Illustrator. :laugh: Especially you box guys.

I knew how to do it, not explain it. If I was Lynda then I wouldn't be sitting here. :banana:
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on November 01, 2011, 01:19:02 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 01, 2011, 01:00:45 PMSorry, I assumed we all knew how to use Illustrator. :laugh: Especially you box guys.

I knew how to do it, not explain it. If I was Lynda then I wouldn't be sitting here. :banana:

Me neither.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

he found it and it worked too! so I coulda said convert the thingy with that thingy under colors, you know, that thing?
vdp donkey