Mixed ink swatch with two Pantones

Started by DigiCorn, February 27, 2013, 05:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I'm pretty sure this was covered before, but I've spent about 30 minutes looking for the thread and can't find it.

I have a job where I need to correct the art to make it two Pantones and not two process colors. Dezigner set up the job using two process, and I can always remap it in Rampage, but he wants me to "fix it right" and send it back so he can use it on other projects going to other vendors. I know I can do it with screens and overprinting, but is there a way to do it with a mixed ink swatch and gradients?

See screenshot for an idea of what I'm describing:

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Never mind, I send it to me, I'll take a look. We can figure it out.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

it's just a standard illy file. I just need a mixed ink swatch.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

I got it, I'll rip it apart and figure something out. Stand by...
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

there is no mixed ink swatch in Illy - fucking STILL.

The elegant way of doing it is to make 2 fills, with one set to overprint (in appearance - 2 fills) - then make a graphic style of it so you can apply it like a swatch.

So like this:

1. Make 2 spot swatches, one "PANTONE XXX" & "2ND HIT OF XXX"
2. Make a box somewhere on the pasteboard
3. apply the fill of the original color
4. in appearance, add a fill, set it to the 2nd hit color
5. in attributes, with the original fill selected in appearance, set overprint
6. apply this to your box you made
7 open graphic styles and drag that box onto the graphic styles window - now you've got a "swatch" which you can apply to stuff - select same fill, apply.

or the down and dirty but very hazardous - just duplicate everything in that color, put it under the original, make it the 2nd hit and overprint the original color.

Prinergy requires some monkeyshines for it to come out. You must a) allow overprints, and b) make a color swatch of the primary in your color libraries, and set it to opaque. YMMV.

EDIT: not sure how this will work on your gradients, but I'm sure I have done it.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

yeah - that was the plan... guess i was seeing if there was another, better, way.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

I can post an example file if it will help you.
vdp donkey

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 27, 2013, 05:53:58 PMyeah - that was the plan... guess i was seeing if there was another, better, way.

if there is I'd love to see it. This is the best I have found so far, in years of looking for the answer. FFS why can't we have multi-ink swatches in Illy? Indy has it. Quark has had it forever.
vdp donkey

Joe

Can you post the actual file? Prinergy can probably remap them to spot and I can send you a new PDF if it works the way I think it will.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: t-pat on February 27, 2013, 05:55:23 PMFFS why can't we have multi-ink swatches in Illy? Indy has it. Quark has had it forever.

Am I missing something? Why would someone do this? Like a duotone effect? I've never seen this used.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Spot to spot gradients of mixed ink colors get used quite a bit. It enhances the color palette to have more color options.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

I don't get it, still never seen it used in my 12 yrs in prepress. Can you post a sample file? CS5 or lower.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david