Line screen vs. Stochastic (Staccato)

Started by mlarsen, April 07, 2017, 12:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlarsen

The company I work for is considering going back to line screen after using Staccato for ten years. we use a 36μm dot on the web press and a 20μm on the sheetfed. Reasoning behind this is mostly quality, main concerns being: color consistency, registration, color quality, grainyness in the black screen. So- in everyones opinion, what would you recommend and why?

andyfest

We tested stochastic (hybrid & FM) when we were installing our CTP line about 14 years ago. I never liked the soft"dithered" look of some of the images. We use a fine (200 lpi) AM Euclidean dot screen. Maybe considered old-fashioned these days but it still works really well. Our sister company has been using a Prinergy Staccato hybrid screen for years though and they seem to like it. They have had some issues matching client-supplied proofs that use AM screens, an issue that we don't have. We have had to print a couple of those jobs for them as they couldn't match the supplied proof.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

mattbeals

200 LPI Euclidean is a very good choice, but I like staccato. Once your setup for it and the process is consistent I don't see a reason to change. In my opinion there'd have to be a compelling business reason to switch.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

We're running 175 with a round dot.

The boss was talking about getting this neat new thing called film...
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 10, 2017, 06:43:53 AMWe're running 175 with a round dot.

The boss was talking about getting this neat new thing called film...

It is making a comeback...for cameras.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

200 line Euclidean is the best way  (highlight round dot - square dot @ 50 - shadow round dot).
Most people don't like the "noise" associated with the stochastic dot.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

I like our Stacatto (10 micron) but just for jobs that benefit from it, like super fine details. Also very handy for color separations with more than 4 colors! Like touch plates.
But we mostly run 175 and 150 eliptical, occasional 200.
HTH

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Ear

175 line elliptical here too, on the sheet and heat... 100 line golf-ball dots on our news. 

I would like to try FM dot for the newspaper web. I feel like the higher end stuff is good with high-line halftone dot but a lower quality news web might benefit from a 30ish micron FM, but maybe not?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on April 13, 2017, 04:52:39 PM175 line elliptical here too, on the sheet and heat... 100 line golf-ball dots on our news.

I would like to try FM dot for the newspaper web. I feel like the higher end stuff is good with high-line halftone dot but a lower quality news web might benefit from a 30ish micron FM, but maybe not?

Our owners have wanted to try it for years for our newsprint. Until they hear the cost of the license. They keep asking about it all the time though. The price keeps getting higher each time. :rotf:

Ear

:lmao:  Yep, same here. You mean stuff costesses money?  :gom:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on April 13, 2017, 05:47:41 PM:lmao:  Yep, same here. You mean stuff costesses money?  :gom:

:lmao:

If it was a new bass boat there wouldn't be any hesitation at all about the money!

:facepalm:

frailer

Quote from: Joe on April 13, 2017, 08:42:08 PM
Quote from: Ear on April 13, 2017, 05:47:41 PM:lmao:  Yep, same here. You mean stuff costesses money?  :gom:

:lmao:

If it was a new bass boat there wouldn't be any hesitation at all about the money!

:facepalm:
They are the same world over, ya?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Diddler

I have calibrations set up for 133, 150, 175 & 200 line depending on the job (or sales rep).  90% of job would run at 175.
Funny how they never know the difference.  :dev2:
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Farabomb

Just like the one that insisted I needed to run his custom trap settings for all his metallic jobs. I even heard him brag about it on a customer okay.

It was processed like every other spot color job, nothing special at all...
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Quote from: Farabomb on April 19, 2017, 07:01:23 AMJust like the one that insisted I needed to run his custom trap settings for all his metallic jobs. I even heard him brag about it on a customer okay.

It was processed like every other spot color job, nothing special at all...
Interesting, we have custom trapping for metallic
(KO and trap black and all traps at 1/2 normal width)
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...