Working from Home / Coronavirus

Started by StudioMonkey, March 20, 2020, 05:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: motormount on March 21, 2020, 10:46:44 AM
The virus crisis will end one way or the other, but the world will not be the same again.

It won't be the same even if the fed out there in the states or the central bank here in europe starts raining money ( which they will, but it can't and won't be enough ).

But let's be optimistic and say that in june economy will be back to december's '19 state, or lets smoke a joint and imagine that in june economy will be back to 2000, printing is getting bigger and bigger and we get a fat raise every year, or we move to the next shop.

Even with that scenario, the world as we know it will be completely different in a couple 
of months.

Most of us here are middle aged people making our living out of an ever shrinking trade.

So, i wouldn't say no to working from home to keep my job, but i'm really skeptical were this leads - in both economical and social ways.
- it won't be for our best interest -

Ummmmm...what?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

We had a situation about 2 years ago where my Father-In-Law was in a coma and we thought we might lose him. At that time, my schedule was rearranged so that I was working 6 hours a day, 3 days a week (8 hours a day the other 2) to accommodate child care, etc. Then my wife switched her schedule to work M-F 8 hours a day, so after a brief couple of regular 40s for me, I went to 5.5 hours a day M-F. My modified work-at-home schedule which was supposed to start Monday, and it was to be 9:30-11:30 M-F (10 total hours), but it started Friday instead. I ended up working 8 to noon and then 2-4 to accommodate the workload, and I'm already behind on Monday's schedule. Thursday after 11 am, our business exploded. I got 23 orders, all for medical businesses for various informational packets, forms, flyers and other COVID19 educational distributables. I worked on security badges for a first responder, as well as some signs that said things like, "lobby closed, still open, call us," etc. and I realized that support for essential businesses might also be somewhat essential as well. I can do most of my job at home, so I can stay and entertain my kids. But I am already working more hours than expected.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

motormount

Quote from: Joe on March 21, 2020, 11:02:31 AM

Ummmmm...what?

ummmm...

it's my english, sorry.

I'll try again.

Working from home means LESS money.-
- for the average joe* -

Thats because now, you get paid for the time you work IN the shop.

When you work from home, you'll start working all day, and you will be expected to answer the call, or reply to that mail any time of the day.

It doesn't starts like that, but that's where ends.

How much will you charge for that?

And how can you negotiate when out there good job opportunities are so few - and becoming fewer -

You might get even less money, cause you might be laid off and then ''offered'' the chanse to work from home, with less money than your current wage.

That's the economical part of the equation.

There are -and there will be more - consequences on social life and society from ''working from home'' model, sorry i don't have the time to write an essay about them.

I see people takin it lightly - the work from home trend -, and i'm a little bit worried about it.

*There are of-course people who working from home can make more money, but i rarely see that kind of people in prepress deparments.

Joe

Ahhhhh....understand now. I thought you meant people in prepress get FAT raises every year. My raises every year are pretty skinny! :D

I've worked from home for a long time but usually just for a few minutes to a couple of hours to fix files in the middle of the night for the press or if something isn't working I'll login to try to get it fixed. I always turn my time in and its never been a problem getting paid for the time I work from home. Even with fast computers and internet it is still slower than being at the work Mac. If I were to work from home I would not be doing it for less money. And I would be available for my "regular" hours but after that I would only log back in and be paid for that extra time.

But I am sure there are some unscrupulous business owners that will try to take advantage of the situation.

motormount

Here there is trouble getting paid for ''normal'' overtime ( at work ).
- you make 40 hours, get paid for 30 two months later and then quarrel with the boss to get the rest 10-

Logging in from home is not considered overtime, it's giving a helping hand to the shop.

But the virus will stop a lot of shops doing it by shutting them down...
- even if you stop paying people you can't survive long with no jobs coming in-

Donomo

Our State just issued a shelter in place on Friday. We have been deemed an essential business, some of the mailings we do are considered essential. We have been slow for a couple of weeks, but not as slow as I expected. That may change now. So far my company seems to be handling this very well. They have cut us down to 7 hour shifts with a 1 hour gap between 1st, 2nd & 3rd shifts so that we do not have contact with the other shifts. During that 1 hour gap they have a cleaning crew coming in and disinfecting everything. Almost our entire customer service dept is working from home except for a couple. They are now called runners and are shuttling job tickets, proofs ect. between departments. We are not supposed to leave the prepress except for bathroom breaks. No lunch break, but are allowed to eat lunch on the fly. They soon will have some of prepress working from home. They also announced up to 2 weeks paid leave for any coronavirus related absence. Very impressed with how they are handling it so far. Things will probably change if the work continues to dry up.

DigiCorn

I am currently work from home. March started out as what looked to be our biggest month ever... Then about St. Pat's, thing started to slow. Wednesday I scrambled to nail down the work-at-home thing. Thursday, I *trained* everyone on what I knew. Friday, I started at home. Friday I worked a lot. Today. I am going past my *reduced* hours schedule already, and it's only 11am PST (I was supposed to be 2 hours a day... going past 3 already). I think tomorrow will settle down, and I really will only be 2 hours a day for the foreseeable future. 99% of the work I have touched right now is for medical offices.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

No $#!+ about getting F^@*#} in the ass while working at home. Our *agreed* upon hours were 9:30 am - 11:30 am, but today I clocked in at 9:00 am and I'm still on (currently 12:22 pm). I think the CSR went to lunch because she's not answering texts about a job she F^@*#} up. Luckily school is cancelled, so I don't have to edumacate my kids for some kind of standardized test.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

motormount

best part is, if you try to complain, the csr only took 2 minutes break while you were working comfortably from your couch  ;D

DigiCorn

Holy fucking shit.

Here comes a totally brand new fucking job... I thought I was supposed to be off?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

so I'm all set to work from home if needed, I am using Chrome Remote Desktop instead of Team Viewer
as Team viewer needed me to update computers, and I don't want to do that right now.
I still may take 1 of my Macs home as it has all the tools I need and the other Mac will be to connect to copiers
and XMF if needed.

My question is how do you communicate jobs, I'm kind of a stickler with my files so I'm going to do the
best I can do keep it organized, but without a job jacket to work with, I'm not sure how we will communicate.

Joe's Response: What's a job jacket?  :laugh:

oh yeah this remote desktop looks kind of clunky, that's why I'm going to bring one of the Macs home, and remote in for file transfer etc..

Joe

Seriously we don't have anything resembling a job jacket. We get a piece of paper usually with critical info still missing. We do assign each and every job a job number in a FileMaker Pro database and enter job info though like I said it is usually incomplete when we get it it so we do have some kind of job tracking ability.

Tracy

I guess I will make some kind of Form they can fill out in Word form them  :laugh:

DigiCorn

Word? Make it a PDF.

Yesterday I was supposed to be on 2 hours and worked 6. I just had a conversation with the owner, and to keep overhead down, I am strictly now on a 2 hour shift, remote from home. And I'm fine with that. I will also provide support for the other shop remotely.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

I suppose I could make an editable pdf form
because they need to be able to fill it out and send it to me
word is ok for now tho