News:

Main Menu

Freelance Woes

Started by StudioMonkey, August 14, 2014, 07:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioMonkey

I used to work Freelance from home but had to get a proper job when the work dried up.  I stay in touch with some of the people I used to work for and each summer I do Holiday Cover for 2 weeks. 

Just done the Holiday Cover for this year, starting work early and finishing early so I can get home to work on anything that comes in.  Not a peep.  Nada.  Zip.  No work came in over the 2 weeks.  Now I remember why I quit Freelance.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'll do freelance for a selected few who actually have a history of paying their bill. I got tired of getting the Louisville Slugger out to get my money. People are assholes.
Member #285 - Civilian

Designia(o_O)

Have you tried emailing them? Use the excuse that you were thinking of taking some time off and wanted to get your upcoming schedule sorted out.

delooch

i just dont have the hustle anymore to chase down the work.

Possum

Working freelance means dealing with people (shudder), and I try to avoid that whenever possible.

I worked six years putting out a weekly paper for somebody I never met in person, all done by e-mail. That's the ticket. Keeps you from committing violence.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Designia(o_O)

That's the way to do it. But there are the ones that want to meet for no apparent reason. Why? Unless I'm picking something up and why am I picking something up? Email it. "I'd love to see your studio".  :wtf: No.

DigiCorn

My freelance studio is in a van, down by the river.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Designia(o_O)

lmao :laugh: Matt Foley Design

DCurry

...where your business cards won't amount to JACK SQUAT!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

I'd love to see my studio too. My office has been the official dumping ground of shit the GF doesn't know what to do with. 
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Designia(o_O)

Quote from: DCurry on August 14, 2014, 12:59:52 PM...where your business cards won't amount to JACK SQUAT!

Or you use them for ROLLING DOOBIES!!!

Ear

:laugh: Well la-de-freakin'-dah! We got ourselves a writer here! Hey, Dad, I can't see too good. Is that Bill Shakespeare over there?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

StudioMonkey

My 'Studio' was the spare bedroom.  I had a devil of a job getting my 'Business Address' taken off all the B2B websites I registered with.  One or two would not take an entry without a street address.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana