pc file on a mac type issue

Started by rab, August 03, 2010, 07:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rab

Been a long time since I've been on here. Current boss would not appreciate me being on the net when I could be jogging paper. Little ones at home feel the same way.

I've recently noticed that when I open a pc file on the mac characters like dashes and apostrophies come up wrong. They end up looking like key combinations typed. Had this happen with a database in fusionpro. Not sure if it's a font cache issue or what.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Joe

My guess is the character set is different on the Mac than the PC. Never a good idea going from one platform to the other unless you switch both over to using opentype fonts. My opinion anyway.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Ditto-Ditto.

You can get away with True-Types a lot of times, but PS 1 and 2 and multiple masters are a nightmare. It's all how the font is encoded. Mac or PC.
Member #285 - Civilian

rab

Different character set was my answer but I'm not 100% sure. Doesn't seem to be specific font related I'm not necessarily trying to use pc fonts on the mac. Simply opening say a pc excel file on the mac results in hyphens changing to question marks. I used the excel file with fusionpro. The creative was Mac based and used mac fonts. When I composed the file hyphens in some fields changed. Originally thought it was a special character like an em dash that used say a key combination, but it's not. An apostrophie should be the same in any english character set. It's very strange.     

Tracy

I've seen this too, but with Word. Different versions of programs?

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 03, 2010, 07:30:20 PMDitto-Ditto.

You can get away with True-Types a lot of times, but PS 1 and 2 and multiple masters are a nightmare. It's all how the font is encoded. Mac or PC.
OTF works a little better than TT IMHO, but with PS type, all best are off.

I have several versions of PS Futura on my Mac, and they are waaaaay different. One is like 15% larger, but has the same name.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 05, 2010, 08:28:39 AM

I have several versions of PS Futura on my Mac, and they are waaaaay different. One is like 15% larger, but has the same name.

OTFs are the shizno when dealing with PC/Mac files. We already established this. With so many font foundries, pumping out shit, it is not uncommon to have fonts with identical names that are sized and/or react different.

One trick is to have a font manipulation app, like Fontographer. I had a TT that displayed the Japanese Yen symbol in place of quotation marks. I opened up the font in Fontographer, and replaced the offending character with the one I wanted and regenerated the font. Not all of us have this option, but it does work.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 05, 2010, 09:11:32 AMOne trick is to have a font manipulation app, like Fontographer. I had a TT that displayed the Japanese Yen symbol in place of quotation marks. I opened up the font in Fontographer, and replaced the offending character with the one I wanted and regenerated the font. Not all of us have this option, but it does work.

I agree. Being able to repair a font (used to be part of my job description) is a great asset.
I've done it more times than I can count.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 05, 2010, 09:11:32 AM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 05, 2010, 08:28:39 AM

OTFs are the shizno when dealing with PC/Mac files. We already established this. With so many font foundries, pumping out shit, it is not uncommon to have fonts with identical names that are sized and/or react different.

One trick is to have a font manipulation app, like Fontographer. I had a TT that displayed the Japanese Yen symbol in place of quotation marks. I opened up the font in Fontographer, and replaced the offending character with the one I wanted and regenerated the font. Not all of us have this option, but it does work.

Fontographer is the reason I still have a Mac that runs OS9 ... works great for converting mac fonts to PC fonts, too.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: david on August 05, 2010, 09:19:50 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 05, 2010, 09:11:32 AMOne trick is to have a font manipulation app, like Fontographer. I had a TT that displayed the Japanese Yen symbol in place of quotation marks. I opened up the font in Fontographer, and replaced the offending character with the one I wanted and regenerated the font. Not all of us have this option, but it does work.

I agree. Being able to repair a font (used to be part of my job description) is a great asset.

I love Fontographer.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 05, 2010, 09:21:50 AM

I love Fontographer.
Years ago there was a good font app with an even better name. The "Font Fondler"
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

why is it I think you got that app just for the name?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

I used to have Fontographer for the PC. Might still be around somewhere but I quit using it after passing the exam to receive my prepress magic wand. :ninja:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 05, 2010, 09:21:50 AM

I love Fontographer.

I miss Fontographer (did they ever upgrade to OS X?)
Murphy must have been in printing....

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on August 05, 2010, 10:08:24 AMI used to have Fontographer for the PC. Might still be around somewhere but I quit using it after passing the exam to receive my prepress magic wand. :ninja:

Ooooohh, neato. I just fix the job the old way, the old ONE button push, "Print."
Member #285 - Civilian