Web & Freeware fonts

Started by Farabomb, April 07, 2016, 05:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Was that preflight from an actual job?
if so that is too many fonts!!!!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 07, 2016, 04:21:12 PMWas that preflight from an actual job?
if so that is too many fonts!!!!

Probably a web job. I've seen a lot more than that. You should have seen the fonts used in a 1,500+ page phonebook I just did a few weeks ago.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

You still print phonebooks?

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Amazingly yes. I thought they were dead a few years back but we do a LOT of them. More than ever. I can't remember the last time I used a phonebook to look something up though. But someone must still be using them.

Farabomb

Well, there are places where cell service is spotty and not everywhere gets internet so I can see them still being used. We used to get them where I live but I don't believe I've seen one in 2 years.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

We still get a local version of one here. Couldn't tell you which brand, it goes right from the curb to the recycling bin, unlike my idiot neighbor who leaves his in the gutter as some kind of experiment to see how long it takes to disintegrate.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

StudioMonkey

We get a couple of phonebooks delivered every year.  Last time I used em was to prop up the sofa when the leg fell off.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

Apparently Sussex county where I live has only 2% of NJ population. The phonebook is more of a pamphlet.

And only 10 last names.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Back to topic: I've read that some freeware fonts have malicious code in the files. There are so many sites that allow just anybody to upload fonts, you don't know where they came from.

I've also had trouble with fonts customers have asked me to use that have just atrocious spacing problems.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Tracy

I downloaded a font ONCE, never again
caused a problem.

Farabomb

I'm having issues with this font now. The designer that I don't believe knows that they are going at all as they have a blank page in the indy doc because they haven't figured out how to make spreads and the PDFs I get sent have that page in there as they don't know how to export a range...

Anyway they have an EPS with the font in it and it drops out on export on my computer. Why EPS? even adobe has given up on that format. The designer was told the font is a issues and all should be outlined but I doubt they know what that means. I'm going to have to take a look at ear's preflight and adapt it for us.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Open the EPS in Illy and outline that font.

Farabomb

I would but illy told me to fuck off and get CC. I got my digital guy to save it as an pdf.

I was on the phone with their "prepress" department while I was fixing it and he had the wonderful advice of just distilling it. I told him in no uncertain terms that that is the LAST thing you should be doing. Post script is dead and that will destroy any transparency and could cause more problems than it solves.

This explains a lot of the files they "fixed" before.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Once it is an EPS is is already postscript so it already ruined.

Ear

... can't embed fonts in an EPS. They are even more useless than .ps
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black