FedEx mailing lists

Started by Farabomb, December 10, 2013, 09:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I have to handle a FedEx mailing today because I use computers so I can do everything.

I read in one of the emails to not open the converted .csv file in office because it screws the formatting up. My question is since all our lists come as spreadsheets what is the best program to use to save a .xls to a .csv to best import into FedEx's address book?

I've need posts before about MS orifice screwing with mail merge formatting so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with FedEx mass mailings.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I just did a tax list. I opened the .xls file in OpenOffice and fixed all of the stupidity and saved it out as a tab-delimited text file but you can save it out as a .csv file too which is actually the default. Mine wasn't for a mailing but for InDesign to run in a local newspaper. Worked great for me.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chuckls

I just use excel to create and/or modify the list, then save as .csv
Watch the leading zeros in the zip code when saving .csv

Farabomb

Wonderful, thanks guys.

I just went through it with the nice FedEx girl and it's pretty simple after you fix the formatting.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Skryber

F-bomb, I hear you use computers. Would you mind installing a new pool for me in the spring?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigiCorn

Quote from: Skryber on December 10, 2013, 12:44:17 PMF-bomb, I hear you use computers. Would you mind installing a new pool for me in the spring?
...and since Skryber Fisted me, I need an enema
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I need a new bathroom built and my riding lawn mower needs the belt changed too if you have any free time Farabomb.

(Safari auto-correct keeps changing "Farabomb" to "Firebomb" for some reason today! :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on December 10, 2013, 12:51:11 PMI need a new bathroom built and my riding lawn mower needs the belt changed too if you have any free time Farabomb.

(Safari auto-correct keeps changing "Farabomb" to "Firebomb" for some reason today! :laugh:
I had to edit my post because I mistakenly got autocorrected from Skryber to Sky bear
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I also have some websites I need developed. You can do that too, I'm sure.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Thank god the boss is too busy finding motorcycle parts online to find this thread or you'd be giving him ideas.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Skryber

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 10, 2013, 12:52:08 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 10, 2013, 12:51:11 PMI need a new bathroom built and my riding lawn mower needs the belt changed too if you have any free time Farabomb.

I had to edit my post because I mistakenly got autocorrected from Skryber to Sky bear

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff