OS X 10.10 'Yosemite'

Started by Joe, June 02, 2014, 12:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Updated my iMac at home to Yosemite and so far everything seems okay except for a couple of things:

1. When I restart my Mac, I get the message that I need to go download and install legacy Java SE 6 to use InDesign CS5, Illustrator CS5, and anything else that is CS5. I never had to install Java before and don't know if I need to or should. I only use current versions of Lightroom and Photoshop, but Acrobat 9 Pro seems to work. I am planning to get this weekend Affinity Designer as a replacement for Illustrator as I rarely use it at home but I would like to have a vector program on hand.

2. I notice that when I put my Mac to sleep, the modem light that indicates computer activity continues to flash. Never seen that before and don't have any idea why it's doing that.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

Quote from: Syphon on February 07, 2015, 09:28:32 PMUpdated my iMac at home to Yosemite and so far everything seems okay except for a couple of things:

1. When I restart my Mac, I get the message that I need to go download and install legacy Java SE 6 to use InDesign CS5, Illustrator CS5, and anything else that is CS5. I never had to install Java before and don't know if I need to or should. I only use current versions of Lightroom and Photoshop, but Acrobat 9 Pro seems to work. I am planning to get this weekend Affinity Designer as a replacement for Illustrator as I rarely use it at home but I would like to have a vector program on hand.

2. I notice that when I put my Mac to sleep, the modem light that indicates computer activity continues to flash. Never seen that before and don't have any idea why it's doing that.

1. It isn't actually asking for Java that you download from java.com. It is telling you that you need to installed the Java 6 runtime. Photoshop needs it. HP printers need it. Prinergy Workshop needs it not that you are running Prinergy at home but the point is that a lot of software needs the Java 6 runtime. You get from Apple here.

2. No idea. What modem light on an iMac?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Syphon

Quote from: Joe on February 07, 2015, 09:41:26 PM
Quote from: Syphon on February 07, 2015, 09:28:32 PMUpdated my iMac at home to Yosemite and so far everything seems okay except for a couple of things:

1. When I restart my Mac, I get the message that I need to go download and install legacy Java SE 6 to use InDesign CS5, Illustrator CS5, and anything else that is CS5. I never had to install Java before and don't know if I need to or should. I only use current versions of Lightroom and Photoshop, but Acrobat 9 Pro seems to work. I am planning to get this weekend Affinity Designer as a replacement for Illustrator as I rarely use it at home but I would like to have a vector program on hand.

1. It isn't actually asking for Java that you done load from java.com. It is telling you that you need to installed the Java 6 runtime. Photoshop needs it. HP printers need it. Prinergy Workshop needs it not that you are running Prinergy at home but the point is that a lot of software needs the Java 6 runtime. You get from Apple here.

The light is on my modem.
The modem has several lights indicating if I am sending/receiving or the internet is up, and one orange light that indicates activity.
Adobe Acrobat

Syphon

And oh, thanks Joe for the Java link!  ;D
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

Quote from: Syphon on February 07, 2015, 09:50:27 PM
Quote from: Joe on February 07, 2015, 09:41:26 PM

1. It isn't actually asking for Java that you done load from java.com. It is telling you that you need to installed the Java 6 runtime. Photoshop needs it. HP printers need it. Prinergy Workshop needs it not that you are running Prinergy at home but the point is that a lot of software needs the Java 6 runtime. You get from Apple here.

The light is on my modem.
The modem has several lights indicating if I am sending/receiving or the internet is up, and one orange light that indicates activity.

That is normal. Broadband modems are connected 24/7 so there is always some activity at the modem. Mine never stops blinking. Do you have a router between your modem and your iMac. If not I would highly recommend it for security purposes.

Syphon

I never had a router at home and I don't think I know anyone else personally.
What one would you suggest for home use?
Wired or wireless?

This shows how little I know on hardware and networking.
And what about wifi? I thought about going wifi.
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

Quote from: Syphon on February 08, 2015, 10:25:00 AMI never had a router at home and I don't think I know anyone else personally.
What one would you suggest for home use?
Wired or wireless?

This shows how little I know on hardware and networking.
And what about wifi? I thought about going wifi.

You can get a router that has both wired and wireless. If you read reviews on the major brands you will see plenty of good and bad reviews. It seems like the best reviews these days are for an Asus router. Check them out here.

Wireless is good if you have a smart phone as you can connect wirelessly from home instead of using your data plan for internet services. Wireless is also nice if you don't want to worry about ethernet cables.

andyfest

I ended up updating my imac at work from OS X 10.6.8 SL to OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. It's a compromise but there were a couple of reasons behind it. Nexus v10.1.3 is only supported up to OS X 10.9 Mavericks and that's where the connection issues with Windows 2000 Server become apparent, as Mavericks went to the smb2 standard. Even after dumbing down from smb3 to smb1 on my Yosemite-driven laptop, I couldn't connect to the W2000 server during tests. The suits have basically said that we are stuck with the present CTP Windows 2000 server and platesetter for the forseeable future, so I wanted to be able to connect to it. 10.8 seems to work with all of the common software I use and I connected to the W2000 server using "smb://..." no problem. Created a boot stick for emergency use as well. Hopefully that will be it for a while.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

You gotta do what makes it all work.

andyfest

I have noticed a couple of things since the update:

1. When copying large files between our server and a backup external I get the following .DS_Store warning. Haven't seen that for a few years. Doesn't happen when files are copied to my imac or any other drive.

2. In Safari, the B4 website text is scrambled in some areas. Doesn't happen in Camino.

Any ideas? :(

David

you probably have a setting that does not allow overwrite on the server or wherever you are copying these to.
and
you have a font conflict, that's why the text is jumbled.
Are you using a font manager?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

Quote from: david on February 12, 2015, 10:19:09 AMyou probably have a setting that does not allow overwrite on the server or wherever you are copying these to.
and
you have a font conflict, that's why the text is jumbled.
Are you using a font manager?
Yes, it's a font conflict I believe within FEX. If I turn my "faves" off, everything goes back to normal on-screen. Never happened in SL - only in ML. Still not sure about the DS_store. Only happens when copying client-specific files from the RIP server to an external hard drive.

Joe

.DS_store files are hidden files that the mac creates to keep track of folder window size and position but it should let you overwrite them. Anytime a Mac opens a folder window it leaves that .DS_store file. It sounds like some kind of permission issue on the external. How is formatted? Fat, FAT32, NTFS, Mac?

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on February 12, 2015, 01:30:59 PM.DS_store files are hidden files that the mac creates to keep track of folder window size and position but it should let you overwrite them. Anytime a Mac opens a folder window it leaves that .DS_store file. It sounds like some kind of permission issue on the external. How is formatted? Fat, FAT32, NTFS, Mac?
The external is a Seagate 1Tb formatted as Mac OS extended (journaled). I've been using it for 2 or 3 years now with no probs until now.

Joe

Is the external connected directly to the Mac that you did the new OS install on or are you accessing it over the network? (Connected to another computer)

If it is hooked directly to the Mac you might try running Repair Permissions on it.

Or manually delete the .DS Store files (using terminal). It sounds like it is not allowing them to be replaced because of a permissions thing on the external.