Main Menu

Retrospect revisited

Started by DigiCorn, January 10, 2012, 09:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

We live in totally different worlds F-Bomb. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on January 11, 2012, 08:07:53 AMMy favorite is the when people keep all their backups sitting in a cardboard box in the server room. Better pray you never have a fire or a flood.

This place did until about a month ago. I had been after them for a year and a half to get a safe or take backups offsite. One fire and there goes prepress!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 11, 2012, 09:57:11 AMWe live in totally different worlds F-Bomb. :laugh:

Trust me man, I know it. I'm only going in what my experiences are.

So, now proof that Oklahoma is a different world.  :laugh:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Farabomb on January 11, 2012, 10:25:03 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 11, 2012, 09:57:11 AMWe live in totally different worlds F-Bomb. :laugh:

Trust me man, I know it. I'm only going in what my experiences are.

So, now proof that Oklahoma is a different world.  :laugh:

I know, brother, I know. I believe we have had this conversation before, no? :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

Yup, and probably won't be the last time either.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 11, 2012, 09:54:08 AMIn all my years I've had many optical disks go bad. Mishandle them and scratch the top surface and it's toast, scratch the bottom and maybe you can polish it back onto working. They are made cheaply and I've seen them delaminate in a climate controlled room. Keep a HDD in a not well ventilated enclosure or even case and watch it die. Turn it on only when needed and keep it cool and happy and it will live a long life. Drop it while it's off and it will probably survive. Hell, get a HDD dock and use internal drives and swap the out when full. Better option than external drives becasue you won't forget to shut it off. Pull the drive and park it on a shelf.

Iirc Zip and Jazz were magnetic, not optical.

Ditto1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Optical disk reliability is just slightly better then floppies.

Hi DCS. :hello:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2012, 11:11:19 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on January 11, 2012, 09:54:08 AMIn all my years I've had many optical disks go bad. Mishandle them and scratch the top surface and it's toast, scratch the bottom and maybe you can polish it back onto working. They are made cheaply and I've seen them delaminate in a climate controlled room. Keep a HDD in a not well ventilated enclosure or even case and watch it die. Turn it on only when needed and keep it cool and happy and it will live a long life. Drop it while it's off and it will probably survive. Hell, get a HDD dock and use internal drives and swap the out when full. Better option than external drives becasue you won't forget to shut it off. Pull the drive and park it on a shelf.

Hey Joe. :hello: Where you goin' with that gun of your hand?

Oh yeah, and YOU'RE WRONG! :laugh: You can say whatever you want with your clicking HDs that you have to triple back-up for redundancy. JUST IN CASE. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 11, 2012, 11:25:36 AM
Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2012, 11:11:19 AM

Hey Joe. :hello: Where you goin' with that gun of your hand?

Oh yeah, and YOU'RE WRONG! :laugh: You can say whatever you want with your clicking HDs that you have to triple back-up for redundancy. JUST IN CASE. :tongue:

Oklahomo!

:lmao:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Huh hey hoe, I heard you shot your mamma down.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

She believed optical disks are more reliable than hard drives. :tongue:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Good ole Grammy. She liked me better then Claude.

Too bad the machine that kept her alive after you violently gunned her down started clicking.
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on January 11, 2012, 08:07:53 AMMy favorite is the when people keep all their backups sitting in a cardboard box in the server room. Better pray you never have a fire or a flood.

Greg
I just realized something. We have a "fire-proofed" server room - special doors, walls, etc. None of our back-ups are stored in there, but what really concerns me is that I just noticed last week that it has that crappy tiled drop-ceiling & there's some kind of leak that developed above it & some of the tiles are discolored & sagging. If it's supposed to be an environmentally sealed room, a fire in the shop nearby could easily travel across the roof, set fire to that room's ceiling or collapse it, etc.

Some times the sheer ignorance in this place leaves me stunned.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

To be honest, if my work place burns down I could give a crap if I have backups or not.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2012, 12:06:08 PMTo be honest, if my work place burns down I could give a crap if I have backups or not.

Amen Brother.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

If it was a 2TB SSD I'd probably feel safe with archiving permanently to that... but for long term, I still like going cheaper with blu-ray and burning redundant copies. In reality, they only have to last me a few years before the art gets updated and/or replaced and becomes obsolete. I rarely pull a job from more than 5 years ago.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway