News:

Main Menu

Server Shut Off?

Started by Tracy, November 22, 2017, 09:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Not really an XMF question
but do you guys shut down your servers?
Fuji told me not to, but I won't be working for 4 days wondering if I should shut it down.

Joe

Can't see that it would hurt. Plus servers need to be powered off occasionally to get a fresh start. The latter is just my opinion based on no facts at all. :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

I'm thinking I'm going to shut it down
can't see it running for 4 days for no reason

Farabomb

I'm with Joe. I try and reboot at least once a month. No code is perfect so it's a good idea to do a cold boot to clear out any BS.

For 4 days, it might be a good idea. I run my home PC's 24/7 but they get rebooted pretty often.

That reminds me, I have to figure out why I'm not getting 5.1 through the TV anymore. The PC got possessed last weekend. I pulled out the drive with the wonky MBR to hopefully try and recover it. Grabbed the right drive on the first try. Plugged it back in after the woman cleaned off all the dust, it booted fine then BSOD within 5 minutes. This began me pulling everything but the CPU out and reseating everything. It's been working fine since but now it only sees the TV as stereo for some dumb reason I can't sort out.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I would re-install the driver.

Farabomb

That's been done twice. It doesn't help that the video cards are quite old. Like 10 years old.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on November 22, 2017, 12:48:12 PMThat's been done twice. It doesn't help that the video cards are quite old. Like 10 years old.

Windows 95? :rotf:

Farabomb

No, no, Win 7 64 bit. I'm a little bit more current at home. Not a lot but a bit.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Probably some small setting tucked away in a far away place.

DigiCorn

We do still have one XP machine on line over here. It's primary value is that it prints shipping labels for boxes, and has said label printer attached to it. Apparently the software won't run beyond XP.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on November 22, 2017, 09:46:24 AMNot really an XMF question
Fuji told me not to, but I won't be working for 4 days wondering if I should shut it down.
I was told to restart weekly, and it does seem to get "twitchy" after 4-5 days of plugging away so I have a reminder to do it every Friday before I bolt. I can't shut it done completely, the early guys Monday won't have a single clue how to start it up.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

andyfest

Quote from: Tracy on November 22, 2017, 09:46:24 AMNot really an XMF question
I shut down all of our boxes (including the Fuji XMF Gateway server for the platestter) every night and restart them in the morning. We only have a day shift here and it's never hurt anything as far as I can tell.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

mc hristel

Not running XMF here, but we reboot (shutdown, let sit a while then restart) Prinergy and all the attached servers avery Wednesday about the time 2nd and 3rd shifts are transitioning. Generally I haven't noticed much difference performance wise before and after, but if it doesn't happen there gets to be more and more odd behavior. 

Joe

Quote from: mc hristel on November 22, 2017, 05:32:22 PMNot running XMF here, but we reboot (shutdown, let sit a while then restart) Prinergy and all the attached servers avery Wednesday about the time 2nd and 3rd shifts are transitioning. Generally I haven't noticed much difference performance wise before and after, but if it doesn't happen there gets to be more and more odd behavior.

I try to do that every Friday night with out Prinergy and Insite servers after applying any MS updates if there are any that week. I know if you go more than a couple of weeks Prinergy starts acting wonky at times.

Farabomb

That's interesting because I almost never shut off the prinergy server. That's mainly because it takes a bit of time to boot and while it's booting, you're not doing a damn thing with it. Until it's content it's pointless to do anything as it will take minutes for your click to register. Kinda sucks since there is a service I need to manually start every time because Kodak never figured that little "feature" out.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job