XMF Install & Training

Started by Joe, November 20, 2013, 11:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

the job had an L perf on all pages I added a perf for the fold

I totally sweated this thing out, Sounds like you understand the issue

Diddler

Quote from: Tracy on April 01, 2014, 03:47:12 PMWhat is imposition mode?
Sorry Tracy,  what i've been calling Imposition mode is actually referred to as Pagination mode.  :ohno: Sorry for any confusion, I've been answering too early in the morning before my brain is in gear.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Tracy

Quote from: impodave on April 01, 2014, 09:32:30 AMIf the job specs for the new job are already being used by another job in the queue, that would work - just rename the new job and continue.  But I think the new job will end up in the list directly above the job you copied in the queue.  Probably not a big deal.  If it's one you use a lot, be sure to save as a Stripping Sheet Template for retrieval later.  Don't know if this answered your question or not.   :tongue:
yeah stripping sheets are kinda getting clearer, still getting use to not having a bunch of templates!

Tracy

Quote from: Diddler on April 01, 2014, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: Tracy on April 01, 2014, 03:47:12 PMWhat is imposition mode?

Tracy, Press this button to do a job in impo mode. Much easier for bookwork I find. I did this 192pp in about 30 sections using this method.
I've written the real basics to start with, let me know if you need more help.
And if your using different sheet sizes you need to drag Sheet groups to a different plate in your workflow. But you probably already know that one.
oh yeah, I pressed that button once and you get that funny message "all kinds of workflow items"
sounds like you know your sheets :laugh: not intended

Diddler

I've never quite understood that message you get that it say's it's "Disregarding your settings" when you have even started to apply them. Have no fear press on the sheets get better.  :grin:

Ear

Stinkin' XMF warning boxes, FFS! You get used to ignoring them.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on April 02, 2014, 02:27:48 PM
Quote from: impodave on April 01, 2014, 09:32:30 AMIf the job specs for the new job are already being used by another job in the queue, that would work - just rename the new job and continue.  But I think the new job will end up in the list directly above the job you copied in the queue.  Probably not a big deal.  If it's one you use a lot, be sure to save as a Stripping Sheet Template for retrieval later.  Don't know if this answered your question or not.   :tongue:
yeah stripping sheets are kinda getting clearer, still getting use to not having a bunch of templates!

Pretty much akin the PREPS Sheet Templates. Just sitting in a different environment with a different name. YMMV, but here we tend to pull in SSTs, then copy/move the ones we bring in until the job's how we need it. Pretty quick once you're in the swing of it.
I find it easier than having a big cupboard full of full Templates with varying page counts. Skinning cats, I guess.
Yeah, stupid XMF error messages.   :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

can xmf warn about ink density?

Joe

Your Pitstop preflight profiles in XMF can be set to warn you about ink density though I don't know if that is set in the standard ones installed with XMF.

Edited to add: You can create your own custom preflights in Acrobat using Pitstop and them use them in XMF. You can do some really neat stuff if you learn all the ins and outs and tips-n-tricks of Pitstop.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Diddler

Quote from: Tracy on April 10, 2014, 04:15:20 PMcan xmf warn about ink density?

I don't know if it will warn you of ink density but you can check the total density with the eyedropper tool.
It is possible to make an action list in pitstop and import at a preflight check. I will play around with one today to try and resolve your question.
It's just Friday madness at the moment.

frailer

... and if you want to measure without the ink-dropper tool jumping all over the place in its value-reads, drag/marquee an area you want to read. It will then give you the reading for that box when hovering over.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

Thanks guys and no rush on any of this

I think ink density is the hardest part of my job, I lower everything to about 280 max
I don't like changing the customer images, but  I have to.
I had something really bad happen in acro's convert to profile, so now all conversion is in Photoshop
oh and the newly discovered pitstop convert to profile

guess I'm gonna have to force myself to learn actions, I'm more of a global change girl tho :laugh:

Joe

You can save a global change as an action. And then chain multiple actions into one action.

You can also create a preflight profile in Pitstop that will change your ink density as well as just warning about it.

Tracy

that pitstop preflight profile sounds awesome, how do I learn that? :laugh:

are you finding pitstop 12 to have some good tools?

downloaded pitstop 12 manual, I'll check back in someday if I get the actions :laugh:

Joe

Open up a preflight profile for editing and experiment is the best way I have found to learn.

Image corrections without Photoshop, gradient corrections without Illustrator, scaling and rotating images/ text/vectors with the mouse (see attached screen shots)....yeah it is awesome! And getting better with each and every update.