Upgrading headache

Started by StudioMonkey, July 17, 2017, 07:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioMonkey

We been using Fiery Workstation 4 on Windoze 7 PCs to print to a couple of Xerox Docucolor 240s.  All working OK but the PCs getting old and flaky.  Boss says let's get some macs in and I'm like wow ok that would be much better.  So we set it up - networking goes like a breeze, no problems.  Can't add the DC240s as printers on the network . . .

It turns out the macs running El Capitan are 'incompatible' with the DC240s and there is apparently (according to Xerox) no solution.

Options now are 
1) copy every print file from the macs to the PC server (backsaved) and print from there
2) buy newer digital print machines
3) ditch the macs and get some newer PCs to do the artwork on
4) quit my job, retire from printing altogether and let someone else worry about it

:drunk3: :banghead:   :death: :hangme:
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

baritone

What year are the macs? If not can you run as virtual machine?

Joe

Quote from: StudioMonkey on July 17, 2017, 07:15:12 AMWe been using Fiery Workstation 4 on Windoze 7 PCs to print to a couple of Xerox Docucolor 240s.  All working OK but the PCs getting old and flaky.  Boss says let's get some macs in and I'm like wow ok that would be much better.  So we set it up - networking goes like a breeze, no problems.  Can't add the DC240s as printers on the network . . .

It turns out the macs running El Capitan are 'incompatible' with the DC240s and there is apparently (according to Xerox) no solution.

Options now are
1) copy every print file from the macs to the PC server (backsaved) and print from there
4) quit my job, retire from printing altogether and let someone else worry about it

:drunk3: :banghead:  :death: :hangme:

#4 is obviously the correct option.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Joe on July 17, 2017, 07:40:37 AM
Quote from: StudioMonkey on July 17, 2017, 07:15:12 AMWe been using Fiery Workstation 4 on Windoze 7 PCs to print to a couple of Xerox Docucolor 240s.  All working OK but the PCs getting old and flaky.  Boss says let's get some macs in and I'm like wow ok that would be much better.  So we set it up - networking goes like a breeze, no problems.  Can't add the DC240s as printers on the network . . .

Options now are

:drunk3: :banghead:  :death: :hangme:

#4 is obviously the correct option.
I am seriously considering it . . .

Possum

You may not have drivers for Windows 10 either, so the new PCs are a question mark.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

I did the upgrade to CWS6 but there were issues, so I downgraded back to 5.8
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

I would like to pick #4 too :'(

Farabomb

Pretty sure we all would like to.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: StudioMonkey on July 17, 2017, 07:15:12 AMCan't add the DC240s as printers on the network . . .

I actually call bullshit on that. We have one Sierra machine and one El Capitan machine and so long as you know the IP address of the Fiery, you can connect to it via CWS. I got the Xerox guys here right now - let me run it by them.

The Fiery box is completely independent of the Mac. So long as it is on the same network, your connection is via CWS. CWS would connect to the Fiery box direct - the Mac has nothing to do with it; it's just a visual representation of the interface running on the Fiery box. Anyway, will post again after I run it by them.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

OK. Talked to the 2nd level Xerox support team currently standing right behind me. They said to to go here:

http://www.efi.com/en-gb/marketing/fiery-servers-and-software/downloads/fiery-command-workstation-58/

and download v5.8. Then connect to the Fiery with the IP address and it will run. They said there's no reason why it shouldn't.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

I think we had a similar problem at previous shop, and we had one older Mac that acted as a Print Server. It could see the crappy Xerox fine, so we mad it a Shared Printer, had the newer ones send files through it and all seemed to work most days.

Or, #4 is always an appealing Option.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

mattbeals

2  is the only practical solution.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 17, 2017, 02:50:13 PMOK. Talked to the 2nd level Xerox support team currently standing right behind me. They said to to go here:

http://www.efi.com/en-gb/marketing/fiery-servers-and-software/downloads/fiery-command-workstation-58/

and download v5.8. Then connect to the Fiery with the IP address and it will run. They said there's no reason why it shouldn't.
Thanks for this.  I downloaded CWS 5.8 and I can see the server and the print queues etc.  I could see all this with CWS 6.  I add the DC 240 as a printer using the IP address and it's not going through to the print server.
So I try connecting via the Windows network and it asks for a Printer Driver.  

I went to download the drivers and I could not find them so I emailed Fiery and got this:
Sorry but there is no OSX 10.11 version of Fiery utilities or drivers compatible with your copier because it is too old to be supported. Please contact your reseller for more information.

I connected using generic postscript drivers and it just hangs when I print.

Part of my problem is that I don't understand how the network was set up in the first place - it was done by my predecessor.  I am trying to contact him to see if he can help.

DigiCorn

CWS runs on a stand alone EFI Fiery unit. It's Windows based and is connected directly to the digital press via a special cable. You can also run CWS from remote workstations (i.e. your Mac). There is also a Creo version, but I haven't seen it so I don't know what that's like.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

We use to have a Xerox and I remember if you didn't get it just right it wouldn't work
Here is a screen shot I made for setting up the IP
I think the queue being named hold (lower case) was important
Not the name of the Printer leave that what you name your printer