DELL 2007FPs on Aussie Outlet

Started by frailer, October 10, 2008, 04:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

For anyone in Oz in the need of a prepress-capable TFT display, there are still 6 on DELL Outlet. One by itself+5 in another group.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/products/quickship/au/en/monitors?c=au&l=en&s=dfo

I'm now using one, and am chuffed with it. Most management just don't get the idea that prepress needs something more than what they're using for MYOB, but here's a chance to sneak something decent in.
S-IPS panel, as far as one can establish. True 8-bit colour, not 6-bit, [no "dithering" to fill the gaps]. Pixel pitch 0.255. Real nice, especially when it's calibrated. Hardly even miss my old, [now dead], LaCie 22" Electron Blue.   :cheesy:  The actual real estate is the same as the LaCie; I measured it on the changeover. i.e. CRT/22"=TFT/20".

Oh, forgot...$318~$345.  A serious bargain.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Seems DELL have discontinued this great bang-for-buck monitor.    :sad:    Shall work out what sits in that slot now, if I can.
Shoulda twigged when they slapped a whole lot on Outlet a couple of months back.    :sad:

Seems also they now have some with e-IPS, rather than S-IPS. I assume this is a futher development of IPS technology; a minimum starting point for prepress work, IMO. The pixel pitch looked a bit too high on one of the e-IPSs I looked at. Not a good thing.

Looks like I'll have to jump into Whirlpool Forums here, and try and tap brains there...    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gtrev

Quote from: frailer on March 01, 2009, 06:23:55 PMSeems also they now have some with e-IPS, rather than S-IPS. I assume this is a futher development of IPS technology; a minimum starting point for prepress work, IMO. The pixel pitch looked a bit too high on one of the e-IPSs I looked at. Not a good thing.

Looks like I'll have to jump into Whirlpool Forums here, and try and tap brains there...    :undecided:

Hey Frailer - we have been using the s-HIT monitors here for some time - they seem to work for us! javascript:void(0);
What proof?

frailer

Quote from: gtrev on March 01, 2009, 11:48:10 PM
Quote from: frailer on March 01, 2009, 06:23:55 PMSeems also they now have some with e-IPS, rather than S-IPS. I assume this is a futher development of IPS technology; a minimum starting point for prepress work, IMO. The pixel pitch looked a bit too high on one of the e-IPSs I looked at. Not a good thing.

Hey Frailer - we have been using the s-HIT monitors here for some time - they seem to work for us! javascript:void(0);

Yep, I suspect there's quite a few on the forum using those high-end mothers.  But have you seen the Super s-HIT ones?     :laugh:

Joe

My old G5 had a Dell s-HIT monitor.  :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

It may be this one now.

DELL 2209WA

Pixel pitch is a bit high at around 0.28, but is e-IPS, and affordable. Also, critically, 8-bit panel/16.7 million colours.
Seems 4:3 ratio displays are on the way out, too.

A great little FYI, lifted from Whirlpool forums here. Good summary of why TN panels should not be in pp rooms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IPS

• Uses an 8-bit panel (16.7 million colours) – Best and most accurate colour reproduction.
• Fantastic viewing angles.
• Average to mediocre brightness and contrast.
• Blacks appear indigo when viewed at an angle.
• Average response times.
• Best for graphic design; print work especially.

VA

• Uses an 8-bit panel (16.7 million colours) – Colour reproduction second to IPS
• Best brightness and contrast. Really good blacks.
• Dark images can appear too dark and lose detail when viewed at head-on. Viewing darker images at an angle can help retain detail.
• Solid colours appear as gradients at angles. This also affects larger monitors when viewed at head-on because your eyes are spheres and therefore, not parallel to the monitor.
• Slowest response times.
• Okay for graphic design, best for movies and general use.

TN

• Uses a 6-bit panel (262,144 colours. A technique called dithering is used to imitate 16.2 million colours) – Worst and least accurate colour reproduction.
• Average to mediocre brightness and contrast.
• Awful viewing angles.
• Fastest response times.
• Cheapest option, best for general use.

This is what I've learned during my quest for the ultimate monitor. A fantastic site for everything monitor related is TFT Central.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and note the difference between 6 and 8-bit.  262,144  vs. 16,700,000. Bit of a diff.

frailer

Here's some updating on the newer e-IPS technology. Seems it's a lot cheaper to produce, but retaining all or most of the advantage of previous levels of IPS, (In-Plane Switching). Anyone considering a display purchase, even for "home use", should hold off and have a good look at it.

blog on e-IPS

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 02, 2009, 05:46:24 PMHere's some updating on the newer e-IPS technology. Seems it's a lot cheaper to produce, but retaining all or most of the advantage of previous levels of IPS, (In-Plane Switching). Anyone considering a display purchase, even for "home use", should hold off and have a good look at it.

blog on e-IPS

Way too advanced for me. I'm still using a CRT on my PC.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Fair comment, but at this sort of price, Joe...just for when the time comes. Like everything else, this technology has eveloved to a very good price/performance from here on in.

Here's a review. Bear in mind Aussie $$. Significantly cheaper Stateside.

DELL review

frailer

There is a more in-depth from this great Danish site, for anyone having to think about getting new displays, but on a "budget". Aren't we all now.    :rolleyes:

DELL 2209WA review

Also this; nerdy, but not too long, and interesting, IMHO.

panel types