PostScript Type 1 fonts end of support

Started by Joe, February 25, 2021, 03:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

hopefully I'll be gone by then and won't have to deal with that nightmare...

:old:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on February 26, 2021, 08:36:01 AM
hopefully I'll be gone by then and won't have to deal with that nightmare...

:old:

Same here. I let my boss know about it yesterday. :rotf:

scottrsimons

How does your workflow handle Type 1 fonts? We are currently on Prinergy 8 and I'm looking at v9. And looking into the docs about Type 1 and OpenType fonts and seeing what is says. They don't say much about Type 1 fonts. And the section about OpenType says

"The Font Converter does not support OpenType fonts. If your input files contain OpenType fonts that are not embedded in the file, add the location of the OpenType fonts to the font search path. This is likely a rare scenario, since software capable of handling OpenType fonts is also able to embed them.
Although the Font Converter cannot convert OpenType fonts, most native applications, for example Adobe Creative Suite 3, convert OpenType fonts to PostScript Type 1 (which the Font Converter supports) when embedding fonts. You can also include embedded OpenType fonts when exporting a PDF file from Macromedia FreeHand. As OpenType fonts gain popularity, more software will start supporting embedded OpenType fonts in exported PDF files."
Kinda scary knowing that Adobe is killing Type 1 fonts soon. And they convert OpenType to Type 1. And I wish I could get my hands on that Macromedia Freehand, and also a computer to run it.  :rotf:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Yeah I'm guessing their info about fonts is really old. Prinergy 9 is running the latest Adobe PDF Print Engine so I'm sure it can handle opentype fonts. Even on verison 8 it isn't problem getting PDF's with OpenType, True Type, and Type 1 fonts embedded. I think it is more of an issue with the Adobe apps will no longer recognize type 1 fonts. Not RIPs.

David

when was that manual written?
1980?
:lmao:

OTF fonts are everywhere, I use those more that Type 1 fonts now-a-days
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

1980 Kodak was doing Kodachrome. Creo didn't exist yet and Scitex and Linotype-Hell were kings of the mountain. And I was 25 years old. Good times.

A guy that I worked with back then and served our apprenticeship together died this week. :cry:

scottrsimons

Sorry to hear about your former coworker Joe.
But talking about old Kodak made me think of this 3 ring binder I still have.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

We threw out a bunch of old stuff like that in 2001 when they shut down our old World Color/Quebecor World plant.

Designia(o_O)

Sorry about your friend Joe, it sucks. I had an old friend die this week too. UGH!!!

Holy crap, Quebecor, a blast from the past

Joe

Sorry about your friend. Unfortunately the older you get the more often this happens.

:grimreaper:

born2print

Losing these people hurts and I'm sorry.
I feel like I am just on the cusp of "that age"  :o
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

madbugger

I have currently been going thru our font library and converting all Type 1 fonts to OTF using FontXChange.

Having about 90% success rate, which is far better than the alternative.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Joe

Quote from: born2print on March 05, 2021, 09:48:05 AM
Losing these people hurts and I'm sorry.
I feel like I am just on the cusp of "that age"  :o

You think about weird things at this age. For example we ran out of q-tips. Bought a new large package. First thing in my mind was "I'll be dead before these are all gone". :rotf:

Joe

Quote from: madbugger on September 23, 2021, 04:15:06 PM
I have currently been going thru our font library and converting all Type 1 fonts to OTF using FontXChange.

Having about 90% success rate, which is far better than the alternative.

10% failure rate would worry me. We're just slowly trying to substitute fonts to similar fonts from the Creative Cloud library. Workplace will be paying for that forever anyway.