Forum > Harlequin

anyone looking at Navigator 9?

(1/4) > >>

pspdfppdfxhd:
We inherited a Navigator 8.0 rip with our used ctp system but just recently ran into a transparency issue out of InDesign 5 which choked up the rip. had to rasterize the problem pages in Photoshop but did get the job out. The rip hasnt' been updated since 2007 so it's probably outdated. Apparently version 8.3 rips the file ok so in the interim, we'll have to update to that version. Wer'e talking to Xitron about updating to 9 but it apparently won't be out till November sometime.

We've been happy with version 8 so far although it's pretty "bare bones" and included 3rd party trapping software and 3rd party proofing software. We have to move to a ROOM system to avoid a major screw up down the road.

Just wondering if anyone else is planning this upgrade. We'd like to go back to ApogeeX but this is a small shop and the cost is very high.

Joe:
Check out some of the threads here about Sierra/XMF. Seems to be one of the most reasonably priced of the bunch out there. Ask Earendil and/or frailer about them.

rickself:

--- Quote from: pspdfppdfx on October 24, 2011, 09:45:11 AM ---
We inherited a Navigator 8.0 rip with our used ctp system but just recently ran into a transparency issue out of InDesign 5 which choked up the rip. had to rasterize the problem pages in Photoshop but did get the job out. The rip hasnt' been updated since 2007 so it's probably outdated. Apparently version 8.3 rips the file ok so in the interim, we'll have to update to that version. Wer'e talking to Xitron about updating to 9 but it apparently won't be out till November sometime.

We've been happy with version 8 so far although it's pretty "bare bones" and included 3rd party trapping software and 3rd party proofing software. We have to move to a ROOM system to avoid a major screw up down the road.

Just wondering if anyone else is planning this upgrade. We'd like to go back to ApogeeX but this is a small shop and the cost is very high.

--- End quote ---
Wow, that hits close to home. Our used CTP and RIP will be installed the remainder of this week. It too has Xitron Navigator 8. I have been shying away from CS5 in favor of sticking with CS4. Thanks, pspdfppdfx. That's good info to know.

pspdfppdfxhd:
I'd like to check out other options Joe but the "ball is in motion" and don't really have time to change course. The total cost for v.8 to v.9 is about 9 grand including the upgrade, ROOM proofing to our 7600 which is a plugin that sends the raster data from the rip into a pdf wrapper which we can out put to colorburst for managing the color. The trapping in the rip would be about 2,800 dollars itself. We're now using iTrap which to upgrade would be quite a bit cheaper. (about 800 bucks).

My boss said the Harleqin trapping has a steep learning curve and is too expensive. Anyone find Harlequin trapping complex? I'm not brain surgeon but have worked with apogee trapping in the past. I'd think the defaults would be ok for most of our needs.

Joe:
I doubt if you could touch a full install of any current workflow for $9K so it's probably best to go the direction you are going in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version