You get one wish, and one wish only.....

Started by abc, May 18, 2012, 05:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on June 06, 2012, 11:12:41 AMHi Ear. :hello:

I think I've done this before in Pitstop. I'll see if I can reproduce it this evening.

still waiting for that b4print eal repository
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Ear

I can find all sorts of places to convert or assign icc, but none of them allow you to browse for or import outside icc profiles. I found one place that does allow that but it doesn't actually have any effect on the conversion. The convert to CMYK says (using preferences)... I go to Preferences and it doesn't allow you to use anything other than the stock icc profiles. It should allow you to add to them in prefs.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Wouldn't you have to export your settings from PS, apply them as a custom set within color management in Acrobat, then have Pitstop emulate your custom settings?
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

That's what I was trying and I just got it to work. I had to do it by creating a new action in PitStop. I have it select images, remove existing tags and tag with my profile (this is one of the few places PitStop allows you to browse for an ICC profile, which I had already saved out of PS), then, once tagged, the action converts to CMYK. BAZINGA! Not the easiest way but now it's an action, so it is forever easy.  :tongue:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on June 06, 2012, 11:34:12 AMThat's what I was trying and I just got it to work. I had to do it by creating a new action in PitStop. I have it select images, remove existing tags and tag with my profile (this is one of the few places PitStop allows you to browse for an ICC profile, which I had already saved out of PS), then, once tagged, the action converts to CMYK. BAZINGA! Not the easiest way but now it's an action, so it is forever easy.  :tongue:

The problem I see with that is it's going to do it to every image on the page/document. I would take out "select images" and change the action to only run on the selected object (image that you have selected) instead of the whole page/document.

Edit: And I think your method is sort of the way I got it to work previously.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

I will be checking out the action-which I don't use very much (actions)

here is a screen shot to get it into acro conversion
the file path is user/library
oh yeah, when you create your profile in photoshop
you save it to the file path

Ear

It ain't pretty having to do a max black but the fact that I have to do it in the first place means there is little hope for the quality of art, so it's better than nothing. If the client gave a crap, I would have them scan the text as high res bitmap and do the photos separately.

And Joe, as it stands, the images in question are letters printed on letterhead with logos and photos, then scanned and placed as one piece. In order to do it even semi correctly, I would have to dissect the entire page into Indy, at which point I wouldn't be worried about actions. If I could get hold of them separately, I would just grayscale the text. Sometimes, I go to these lengths... but there are a lot of pages in this job, the client is in a hurry, don't want to spend moneys on the prepress and probably don't even care. I'm only doing this to save from 400 density text for the press crew. I know, it's bad, but I at least attempted to polish the turd a little.

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on June 06, 2012, 11:23:24 AM
Quote from: Joe on June 06, 2012, 11:12:41 AMHi Ear. :hello:

I think I've done this before in Pitstop. I'll see if I can reproduce it this evening.

still waiting for that b4print eal repository

:blank:

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on June 06, 2012, 11:45:38 AMIt ain't pretty having to do a max black but the fact that I have to do it in the first place means there is little hope for the quality of art, so it's better than nothing. If the client gave a crap, I would have them scan the text as high res bitmap and do the photos separately.

And Joe, as it stands, the images in question are letters printed on letterhead with logos and photos, then scanned and placed as one piece. In order to do it even semi correctly, I would have to dissect the entire page into Indy, at which point I wouldn't be worried about actions. If I could get hold of them separately, I would just grayscale the text. Sometimes, I go to these lengths... but there are a lot of pages in this job, the client is in a hurry, don't want to spend moneys on the prepress and probably don't even care. I'm only doing this to save from 400 density text for the press crew. I know, it's bad, but I at least attempted to polish the turd a little.

I know exactly what you mean. I do the same steps.

Ear

The man feels mah pain. We print some nice jobs but others... well, my bird would refuse to poop on them if I used them for cage liner.  :puke2: Still I try...

Joe

I let a lot of them go these days. Pressmen don't care, customer don't care, honey badger don't care...why should I?

DigiCorn

This may be an Acrobat wish and not a Pitstop wish, but it would be helpful if you could recalibrate your x-y axis to zero it out at a new location, and be able to pull guides to an exact position (and also be able to reposition said guides) like you can in ID or Illy.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Yep, probably an Acrobat wish. But I agree... been wishing for that feature since I was but a wee lad.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca