Convert Spots to Custom CMYK

Started by Lammy, October 17, 2012, 06:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishshed

Quote from: Joe on November 02, 2012, 12:58:09 PMAgreed with Greg and...

The problem is that you are trying to achieve color values that are not built into the files. For example, the CMYK built in values of SDI-Red is C17 - M100 - Y87 - K9 and SDI-Dark Blue is C100 - M67 - Y0 - K23. Doing a straight conversion to CMYK does give you those values. Using a global change can easily change the vector part to whatever values you want but it won't work for the raster files. The most logical thing would be to change the built in color values of SDI-Red and SDI-Dark Blue in the originals to match the values you want them to become. Then just a straight conversion from spot to CMYK will make all of the values read what you want it to read whether it is raster or vector.

The problem is that the other printers already have global curves/color swaps setup on their ends to make this swatch set work.  And again, since these jobs get assigned to vendors at the last second, all of these files are already done in the process that works for the other printers.  They grab the swatches and do whatever they do to make it work.  I don't want to create a whole other set of swatches simply for this one printer - then have to re-make the files using these once we see it's been assigned (or re-assigned) to this one printer.

I know that you're saying Joe, but it's only this one printer that's having issues.  The current swatches work fine for everyone else as-is.  So again, I'm putting it back on these guys to make it work.  I have a strong feeling that this might be the last year we use this thing anyway due to the huge non-color-related problems it has, as well.  Pretty sure no one actually researched this thing much before making the purchase.

fishshed

Quote from: Joe on November 02, 2012, 01:05:29 PM
Quote from: fishshed on November 02, 2012, 12:59:42 PMWell, to really put a topper on the problem:

<snip>

Thanks for the feedback guys!  If you think of something else that might work, toss it my way!

Well as you've found the conversion of the vector part is easy. The raster part, the only way I can see is a straight conversion to CMYK and then edit in Photoshop to get your desired values. Of the files you posted, the top half is raster. Why is that? If you had an EPS it seems somewhere in the world the vector part of it should be out there. It looks like someone, at some point, needlessly rasterised it.

These files come to us from customers (all schools) and we generally deal with secretaries and/or principals.  So, we basically get what we get.  Some of our college customers send us spot EPS files, full print-ready PDFs, etc.  But those are very rare cases.

We get campus maps made in Word, Excel (yep - adding strokes to cells to make a school map!) and even PowerPoint.  We do all we can to get the best art from them, but generally it's stuff like this...

DigiCorn

Quote from: fishshed on November 02, 2012, 01:10:07 PM
Quote from: fishshed on November 02, 2012, 12:59:42 PMWell, to really put a topper on the problem:

<snip>

Thanks for the feedback guys!  If you think of something else that might work, toss it my way!

Well as you've found the conversion of the vector part is easy. The raster part, the only way I can see is a straight conversion to CMYK and then edit in Photoshop to get your desired values. Of the files you posted, the top half is raster. Why is that? If you had an EPS it seems somewhere in the world the vector part of it should be out there. It looks like someone, at some point, needlessly rasterised it.

These files come to us from customers (all schools) and we generally deal with secretaries and/or principals.  So, we basically get what we get.  Some of our college customers send us spot EPS files, full print-ready PDFs, etc.  But those are very rare cases.

We get campus maps made in Word, Excel (yep - adding strokes to cells to make a school map!) and even PowerPoint.  We do all we can to get the best art from them, but generally it's stuff like this...
Sounds like you work for Delta Web. They do a lot of school stuff. Oddly, we do the covers for them here and they do the guts and bindery. The bottom two samples of those 5 images on their landing page were printed here and not at Delta Web.  :laugh:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: fishshed on November 02, 2012, 01:10:07 PM

<snip>

My condolences...

:lmao:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Greg_Firestone

Thanks for the extra info.

Basic questions - have you worked with your vendor of the digital printer to see if they can help you improve color? How often do they calibrate? Have they ever fingerprinted the press and created an color profile?

Lastly, are there controls on the RIP to adjust curves as do your external vendors?

Greg

DigiCorn

The Fiery on our Xerox does have adjustable curves, similar to Photoshop curve adjustment. You can alter each color. We took the ICC for our Epson (EFI Colorproof XF) and used it as a starting point for the Fiery. Then we adjusted the curves slightly to get it closer. I don't think I need to explain the differences between toner and ink as to why they'll never be a perfect match.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

fishshed

Yep.  we've added all of the other cover printers within the past few years and started the entire proces by sending them the color profile from our main vendor at the time.  They then adjusted their own curves to match as well as possible to the original set.  Easy peasy!  (Well, from my end at least!)

I took your input and comments and passed them on.  I've done what I can with my limited knowledge of presses, inks, substrates that are all involved in this.  They can take it from here...

It's 'bout Beer-Thirty, I'd say. :drunk:

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I had a boss once who actually wanted to go after schools, on purpose, to do yearbooks and such. Just the thought of getting files from them horrified me.

I was, like, "no." :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

fishshed

I always buy!  Well, until I  :puke2: then it's on you!

Well, schools have been good to deal with for the most part, but it's absolutely amazing what you get from them.  But, since pretty much none of them have much experience in design, we do what we can within a short timeframe to get something decent back to them in print.  These templates I reference are our easy way to get them full-color, semi-designed covers.  And, doing all of this work for that one press that does low-volume stuff really isn't up there on my list of things needing to get done.

But, the "self-designed" artwork is where it's at!  Nothing like having to crop out  :salute: from photos of kids at their school!  We get that all the time!  Funny how the contacts react when you inform them of the changes you made - then they realize that: 1) one of their kids even did that (oops); and, 2) they didn't catch it to begin with!

Gotta love it!