Convert Clipping Text to Real Black

Started by Slappy, July 24, 2014, 09:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

We get a PDF about once a month from the same client, created in Photoshop but with live text that's always set as C40 M20 Y20 K100 and we typically just let it go to press that way. I'd like to be able to convert it to 100% K only, but having a tough time selecting the text, it shows as Clipping Text in the Pitstop Inspector. I can grab it easily in Wireframe mode but can't affect any color changes.

It's a large PDF, about 38MB so I can Dropbox it or try to res it down if anybody wants to take a look.  :banghead:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Can you open the text in PS via the touch-up object tool?
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

Not really. The text areas I manage to grab that way open up missing the font (some weird ass version of Futura) and they show as only outlined text in Illustrator at that point. I guess it's opening the selection in Illustrator because it's text, instead of Photoshop even though that's the creator Application on the PDF.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Slappy on July 24, 2014, 09:01:26 AMWe get a PDF about once a month from the same client, created in Photoshop but with live text that's always set as C40 M20 Y20 K100 and we typically just let it go to press that way. I'd like to be able to convert it to 100% K only, but having a tough time selecting the text, it shows as Clipping Text in the Pitstop Inspector. I can grab it easily in Wireframe mode but can't affect any color changes.

It's a large PDF, about 38MB so I can Dropbox it or try to res it down if anybody wants to take a look.  :banghead:

Let me take a look. If you don't mind.
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

Sent a PM with a link to the Low-res version, thanks! If you want to see the original I can post that too, but I just did a Save As Optimized so it shouldn't vary any contentwise.

DigitalCrapShoveler

It would have been nice if the customer preserved PS editing capabilities on export. If this is a monthly thing, you may suggest that.

I'm opening it now.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

I can fix some of it, but not all. The area at the bottom, I converted to outlines and was able to use the Touch-up Object tool and open it in PS eliminating the C-M and Y channels. The black text at the top, I can convert it to outlines, but I can't get ahold of it with the Touch-up tool.

I'm trying some other things right now, but that's where I am so far...
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Another trick is to open Color Settings, under the Edit menu of PS. Click the CMYK working space and scroll all the way up to "Custom CMYK". Change Black Generation to Maximum. This will fix the text but may do strange things to any actual image, making the black full with the CMY as an undertone, as opposed to full CMY with skeleton Black.

You then convert to RGB or LAB, then back to CMYK.

And most importantly; remember to change Black Generation back to Medium before converting anything else, or your press crew will hate you.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay, I got this mutherfucker... send me the high rez.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Ear, have you looked at the file? I don't think this would work in this instance.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

No, I haven't.  :laugh: I will take your word for it, but it is still a cool trick.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on July 24, 2014, 10:31:32 AMNo, I haven't.  :laugh: I will take your word for it, but it is still a cool trick.

Oh yes, absolutely. The file Slappy has, is a unique case.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 24, 2014, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: Earendil on July 24, 2014, 10:31:32 AMNo, I haven't.  :laugh: I will take your word for it, but it is still a cool trick.

Oh yes, absolutely. The file Slappy has, is a unique case.

Dammit, Slappy! Why ya gotta be all unique n shit?

DigitalCrapShoveler

If it wasn't a unique case, I doubt he'd even bother posting. It is a good file to fuck with for sure. I got it fixed, but I only have a low rez version, and I want to make sure the same will work for high. I mean, there's no reason it wouldn't, but you never know.
Member #285 - Civilian