Add Crop marks position incorrect

Started by lnivin, August 25, 2014, 09:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lnivin

We've had a few PDFs that when we run through our Preflight the crop marks come out in the wrong place. They seem to be PDFs that have the Media Box the same size as the Bleed Box. Our Action is to set the Bleed to 18pt from Trim and set the Bleed Box to Media Box at 9pt.

The crop marks still want to be inside the original Bleed Box and overlap each other instead of offsetting from Trim Box.

The action to remove/add crops is at the very end of the list of actions. But I'm not sure if this means it is actually running them in order.

Thanks,
Linda

Nivin

Also, the Art Box is set to the Trim Box size. This may be what is causing the issue.

Nivin

Using Kodak Geometry tool the Art Box was increased to the size of the Media Box. It didn't change the position of the crop marks. They are still overlapping.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Why even use the action then? Strip the boxes using the design layout tool in Pitstop and use crop marks from Preps, offsetting the PDF with the geometry offsets in Prinergy. Is there a need to keep the original crops?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Never putting marks on a PDF has made our life much simpler. They are pretty much useless since most customers never create their pages at the correct size anyway. We just have Prinergy center all pages based on the media size. Then we adjust as needed.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Nivin

I like your workflow, but we often need to send final single-page PDFs back to the customer. And they want crop marks.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Nivin on August 25, 2014, 09:54:46 AMI like your workflow, but we often need to send final single-page PDFs back to the customer. And they want crop marks.

Set up Prinergy to export the pdf as a loose page and set the marks up within Prinergy on export through your production plan. Like Joe mentions, customers do not, or have no care to actually set up files correctly. The other alternative, is to strip the marks and place in InDesign and refry it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I'm not sure when Enfocus added this page box editor back into Pitstop but I like it much better than the Design Layout Panel.

abc

@Nivin, I answered the duplicate post you have on printplanet.

Yes you can modify the Art Box, there's a specific Action for the Art Box (and one for each of the boxes) that will let you make the change, you just need to add it to the existing Action List.

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on August 25, 2014, 09:42:28 AMNever putting marks on a PDF has made our life much simpler. They are pretty much useless since most customers never create their pages at the correct size anyway. We just have Prinergy center all pages based on the media size. Then we adjust as needed.

Guess I have to stop bitching about my customers then. Most will create a decent PDF and since the front office often gets wrong information then puts it down on the job bag seeing the marks off has saved my ass more often than not.

You can set up prinergy to output a PDF with marks, dotted lines where it trims and bleed. Might be too much information for some customers but then they would actually have to look at said proof.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I can count on one hand the number of jobs that have come in at the correct size in the last year.

And I've learned to never ask a customer what their trim size is for the their job. I get the deer in the headlights look followed by "I dunno...you guys are the printer"!

Farabomb

But cut it .0626 than what it says on the PO and they want a free reprint because they are "unusable".

Then ask for them back and see what happens.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on August 25, 2014, 10:32:13 AMI'm not sure when Enfocus added this page box editor back into Pitstop but I like it much better than the Design Layout Panel.
Like that too, just wish the anchor point would default to Center instead of the lower left. Unless there's a Preference for that some place?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.