Web & Freeware fonts

Started by Farabomb, April 07, 2016, 05:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

New thread added. started by Farabomb. Starts below this post...
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

If anyone is awake I have a hateful file that keeps failing in trapping. I'm trying to isolate the issue but it's not playing nice. It isn't a complex design so I really don't know why it's failing. I've ran it through distiller, resaved one of the links (can't do the other as it's a newer version of illy) reoutput the PDF, it just doesn't like me. Looking at the design I can't run it without trapping but it does go through with trapping off.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Removed link

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

The problem with both files is Roboto font which is a Google web font. Kodak actually has a bulletin out on it because it is not suitable for printing. The fix is to get the font and outline Roboto.

Here is the .eps saved as an Illy 8 file and the PDF with Roboto outlined.

[removed links]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Just to add to this issue...Web fonts and freeware fonts are becoming major problems in the print world. We have added this disclaimer to our Insite front page. The first paragraph is straight from Kodak support:

QuoteWHAT ABOUT FONTS? Freeware and/or web fonts can be used for titling and small runs of text. These fonts have been designed to be used freely across the internet by web browsers on desktop computers, laptops and mobile devices. However, these fonts have rendering issues when used for print production work at high resolutions, as they were designed for use on the web or for lower quality output devices.

The use of these fonts is not recommended for print production. If they are used you may incur additional labor costs for us to deal with any problems we might find. If there are any issues through the production of your job caused by the use of these fonts, we the Printing Company, will not be responsible for the final printing of your job where the text from these fonts may appear. These issues include missing text, reflowed text and any other text anomalies deemed to be caused by the use of freeware and/or web fonts.

Farabomb

Thank you Joe!

Now when they decide what file to use, the natives have different verbage than the initial files sent, I can easily fix it rather than beat my head against it.

I'd tell the designer about the font issue but I might as well save my keystrokes.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Question, is there any way to flag crappy fonts like that in a preflight?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 07, 2016, 08:58:18 AMQuestion, is there any way to flag crappy fonts like that in a preflight?

I think you could create an Acrobat or Pitstop preflight to check for Roboto or any other problem fonts. The problem is that the list is getting quite extensive. I wish there were a  preflight that could check the license and if either outlining or embedding weren't licensed it would warn or fail. As far as I know that isn't possible although there is an action in Pitstop to check the font license but for some reason it did not flag roboto in your file.

Attached it the Kodak bulletin over this issue.

Farabomb

That's wonderful info to have, Thanks again Joe.

If I come up against a trouble file again that will one of the first things I check.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yeah you really have to be vigilant about freeware/web fonts. We had a job recently using the font Amatica on their front cover at 101 pt. size. Amatic is a web font. It looked OK in their PDF. It looked OK in Insite. It looked OK on our 600 dpi VPS. At output it dropped part of a "Y" and customer caught it on the printed books. On further examination we noticed the outline Prinergy creates for the trap did not fit the text. It was oddly shaped and underneath the actual text. Out prepress operator probably should have caught that and it was also visible in Insite and the customer approved it. We ended up giving them a credit though. I sent the file to Kodak and the above disclaimer we added to Insite is what they said and they also pointed out to us you could see the part of the "Y" missing in their original file if you zoomed past 600% in the PDF. Also creating the VPS at 800 dpi also showed the issue so we have changed our processing templates to output all VPS's at 800 dpi now.

And this problem is only going to get worse as more and more designers download more and more free fonts from the web. DOOMED!!!

Ear

I run an Enfocus Certified Preflight on all jobs, which produces a report. I then view the report, which shows a comprehensive list of everything used in the document... image res, font info, etc... It is super useful in tracking bad things down. And it is a live report, meaning you can select a font from the Navigator and it will show you where it is used. Found a bad font just yesterday using it.

Attached is a screenshot of one of the font report pages.

... and I will be happy to extract and share my preflight action, if anyone wants to take her for a spin.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

I'm going to move the posts on this subject to a new thread so it isn't buried in Off Topic Topics. Once I get that done please zip that up and post it in the new thread.

Post it here now please Ear.

Ear

Here is the zipped preflight. I am using it with an older PitStop, but it should work.

Let me know if anyone needs help implementing this. It can be modified and customized, once loaded. It is a good starting point, if nothing else.

Once loaded, go to Certified PDF and select the newly loaded preflight profile. It will open Navigator, once it is finished. You can navigate there or, at the bottom of the Navigator panel, you can select "show report", at which point it will produce the magic report.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Pitstop automatically upgrades the preflight to the Pitstop version being used.

Also I've added the check font license action at the end of this preflight to check for:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

Ear

Nice. I will have to update my profile to include the license.

This was my 3rd incarnation of the profile but I haven't modified it in a few years. Glad to have input on other things to check for. Time for a v4.

The other cool thing is, it pretty much stops designers from arguing about bad art or fonts. I will straight up send them the report and show them where to view the problem, if they try to backtalk me. The report looks official and it forces them to straighten up.