Adobe warning of legal problems if subscribers keep using old versions of CC

Started by Joe, May 29, 2019, 08:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Adobe warning of legal problems if subscribers keep using old versions of Creative Cloud apps

Apparently Adobe has been screwing over their 3rd party vendors by not reporting and misreporting data for creative cloud and either under-paying or not paying at all. Dolby is suing their pants off over it which is why Adobe is now trying to force people to not use apps older than 2 versions in Creative Cloud.

QuoteAccording to Dolby's legal filing, this agreement was subject to the figures Adobe reported being examined by a third-party audit. "When Dolby sought to exercise its right to audit Adobe's books and records to ensure proper reporting and payment, Adobe refused to engage in even basic auditing and information sharing practices; practices that Adobe itself had demanded of its own licensees," says the filing.

"Adobe apparently determined that it was better to spend years withholding this information from Dolby than to allow Dolby to understand the full scope of Adobe's contractual breaches," it continues. "Yet the limited information that Dolby has reviewed to-date demonstrates that Adobe included Dolby technologies in numerous Adobe software products and collections of products, but refused to report each sale or pay the agreed-upon royalties owed to Dolby."
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Somebody finally big enough to take Adobe down a peg or two. What a shame.  :sarcasm:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

wonderings

I like the adobe software, I am a big fan of Indesign as it is my main app that I do 95% of my work in. Problem is I hate the company behind it.

Taking options away from us the user. Forcing a subscription on industry standard applications when they had a system that worked fine. They had a subscription for those who wanted that and they had an option to buy outright.

Now if we want to continue to use Adobe we must continually pay. Been a CC user for a few years and decide you want to stop? Well you can but you have ZERO software to use after, not even older versions, you get absolutely nothing other then the work you have done in the program.

I really wanted and hoped Affinity would be making a serious effort into the pro market but from what I have read and seen on there beta forums for Publisher did not leave me with a lot of hope. Weird handling of PDF's (might be fixed now), no options for handling variable data and they admitted they would not be looking to add this function. There are others, just cannot remember them now.

Joe

Agreed about Affinity Publisher. It is just kind a basic page layout app. It would be years to ever catch up with InDesign even if they try which it sounds like they aren't. It would work fine if you are doing something like a Church Newsletter or such but as pro page layout app I have lost all hope.

I feel the same way about Kodak that you feel about Adobe. Well I actually feel the same about both Adobe and Kodak. Great software. Not so great company.

StudioMonkey

Still using a non-CC version of the Adobe Suite here.  One paid for outright, so I can use it forever.  As long as I don't upgrade the OS beyond one that works with it.  :death:
I can see the attraction of the subscription model, but I was always suspicious that I could be held to ransom by it - I just prefer to have control over these things.
Years ago you would not buy a TV you would rent it.  They you on sold the idea that you could upgrade the TV whenever the newer model came along.  Nobody rents their TV any more.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Designia(o_O)

Me too, CS 4. But FYI, I have that version of CS2 that you were allowed to download from Adobe (and yes I own a license for CS2) working on Windows 10.

wonderings

The problem with the pre CC apps from Adobe is that most are not 64 bit apps. I think Photoshop might have been, but I know Indesign wasn't. On somewhat newer hardware these programs really slug along.

I originally first signed up for Adobe CC when I was fighting with a variable job. It was about 10,000 pieces that just needed an address and salutation. Did the data merge no problem but trying to export a PDF killed me. Would constantly hang on me then crash. I tried doing in smaller bundles of a few thousand, but had the same thing. I tried out the demo of Indesign CC and it just whipped through it. I could not go back to a non 64-bit version of Indesign. I still have my CS6 license and have kept the installers saved on a backup drive if I ever did need to go back, just hope that day never comes.

Possum

That's one of the problems of this business that some people don't understand, even bosses and owners. We're forced to upgrade by circumstances at some point, but still have to work with older equipment that only runs on older software. Any shop that's been in business for some time has quite an assortment of old and new software and hardware.

No Easy Buttons for us.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.