Barcode Sizes on Label Printing

Started by kabeergfx, May 07, 2020, 09:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kabeergfx

I am designing a label in white color with a width 95mm height 38mm.
I have some query regarding "EAN13 barcode " that need to be placed on label;

1- What is the minimum size we can use for a barcode that could be easily readable by machines?
2- I have W 12.749mm H 8.404 mm space left for a barcode, will this easily readable by machines?
3- Can I use Pantone COOL GRAY 10 C for a barcode because I am using the same on all label text? Or it should be 100% black
4- How can we check our design digitally if these are fine for barcode readers?

Waiting for the answers, Thanks, everyone.

Foozball

I "THINK" they come out of their generating program at a standard size, maybe someone here can confirm that though? I had a small program years back, when I was a 1 man prepress department, and they were generated as EPS and only one size.

As a standard, we recommend they are used at 100%, but there are 2 variables if they are less than full size.
1 Printer must be able to reproduce them at the size you send, so check with them first. I'm in a related industry and haven't seen one used at less than 80% in the past 5 years.
2 Retailer must approve the size if it's reduced ... so unless you're big business, this is a mess you probably don't want to get into.

3 If you run it at 100%, ignore 1 and 2!  :wink:

scottrsimons

• Vertical barcodes must be used at 100% scale, but a lot of the software that makes them can adjust the size correctly so they will work. That being said, you can always clip the height of the barcode. You do not need the full height of the bars for most readers. QR or 2D type codes can be scaled.
  • There is no standard for readability for all machines/readers.
  • You might be able to get away with Cool Gray 10 C, but unless you send a test to your client to try and read, you will not know for sure.
  • Test digitally - that's tricky, especially because of the color your trying. There are multiple apps you can get for your phone that will read barcodes. Which will read them from screen, and paper. I use 'Scandit' mainly and 'Kode', and sometimes 'Scanner'.
  • Always try to get a sample from your client of the barcodes they currently use. For 1 - you can see the size and color they are using, and 2 - you can scan it yourself and then know for sure the type of barcode it is (there have been many times where the customer has said it's one type, I scan their sample and it's something else and they go "oh yeah, you're right").
And if you want to get real technical check out this site for specific standards for barcodes. https://www.gs1.org/standards/barcodes/ean-upc
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

andyfest

Cool Grey 10 should be ok as it has a reflectance value of only 16%. If you are using Pantone colours instead of Black, you can find the reflectance values for each Pantone Colour here (scroll down to Section 5 of the pdf):
https://www.barcode.graphics/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/bcgcolorguide.pdf

Always ensure that you are using a Pantone Colour with a reflectance value below 28%, otherwise the scanner will not be able to read it.

Normal UPC-A's can be set at 80% minimum to 120% maximum size. You should set the scale within your barcode software - don't scale using Illy or Indy. You can truncate the height either within the barcode software or by masking, but there is a minimum readable height of 0.5 inches.

There is a good article on scaling, sizing and required quiet zones for barcodes here:
https://www.dionlabel.com/application/files/6515/2539/6656/UPC_Barcode_Standards.pdf

One more thing to remember is the line width reduction factor, which takes into account the gain on the press. It reduces the line width of the barcode ever so slightly to compensate for press gain.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro