Transparency in Print

Started by kabeergfx, August 17, 2017, 08:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kabeergfx

Hey,

I have attached an image,

I want same image style when printed, Like b&w image in background and transparent black color over it so image could be seen easily,

My questions are,

1- Making images b&w from photoshop >desaturate is correct option?
2- What black color #code should I use over images so it shows rich transparent black after print?  not grey
3- What opacity number should i select that bottom image could be seen easily?

Waiting for the replies :)

Thanks

Joe

This will vary greatly depending on the paper it is being printed on.

I would convert the image to grayscale. Set the foreground color in the toolbar to 100% black. Then under the edit menu select fill. In the next dialog box change "Contents" to Foreground Color". Then set your opacity level. See image 1 below.

[attachimg=1 width=400]

Image 2 below shows my test image at 70% opacity and looks lighter than yours but you have to remember it will always print darker than what it looks like on the screen. Especially if you are using a bright screen like an iMac. On my screen it looks better at 90% but I would be concerned you will not be able to see the image through the 90% tint black when it is printed. Just remember that the worse the paper is the more the image will get lost in the black tint.

[attachimg=2 width=400]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kabeergfx

Thanks Joe for quick reply,

Paper is 250gsm coated art paper.

Joe

I have no idea what that paper is. To be honest I would ask the printer you are going to use what their recommendations for something like this would be. They know their paper and press more than I do.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.