Long file names . . .

Started by Lumpy, June 30, 2010, 04:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I just proved myself wrong.

After all this (in this thread and in the thread on other side 'PP'). I just did, on my Mac (Intel with 10.6.4), mount my file server volumes with smb. This was without doing any terminal work or any other mods to my Mac other than change from afp to smb.  I was able to select several vol at the same time, and lo and behold, all my fonts appear to be normal. They all have normal icons and have respectable file sizes.
I will do further investigations as the day progresses. I'm not sure if "they" changed something on the server or what.
I have double checked the mounts on multiple occasions, on multiple Macs (mine included) in the past, and have seen what happens. I am actually surprised.

must be lucky Thursday.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

so with smb you can have long file names on your mac and copy to a windows server without having to rename? nice! been wondering about that for some time now!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

yep, that why all the cool kids are doing it.
Livin' la Vida Loca

PrepressCrapFixer

Now if we could just get them to stop using back slashes in their file names.  That's the one that always fails to copy to my windows server.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

David

man, tough crowd!

next you'll want to stop using exclamation points and such!

oops!

damn there's another one!

damn!

ohmygawd!

can't stop!

!!!!!!
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

%, $, and multiple "." in the names gets me.

joes.50%red.$100car.tif.pdf

copy that one over!?!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Must be a designer thing. Since the other shop went under I now have the sausage on my team. The PDF she made yesterday looked like cursing in a newspaper cartoon. Stopped that right quick. Pretty sure she was trying to get all the job bag info into the file name.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: david on July 01, 2010, 09:08:33 AMman, tough crowd!

next you'll want to stop using exclamation points and such!

oops!

damn there's another one!

damn!

ohmygawd!

can't stop!

!!!!!!

YOUSTON!!!!! Arrest this man.

Ooops!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

youston

There should be some sort of emoticon for :sadly shakes head and walks away, soul broken:

tapdn

That's it... all EPs have been used up for the week. We must all now talk in mono tone, flat and with no enthusiasm or excitement at all. Carry on.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

gnubler

Quote from: tapdn on July 01, 2010, 09:34:25 AMWe must all now talk in mono tone, flat and with no enthusiasm or excitement at all.

So, you mean the way I always talk? Okay.

Are "question marks" allowed[question mark] Are we permitted to be inquisitive[question mark] I have a Photoshop problem but now I'm afraid to ask.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

youston

Quote from: gnubler on July 01, 2010, 09:37:39 AM
Quote from: tapdn on July 01, 2010, 09:34:25 AMWe must all now talk in mono tone, flat and with no enthusiasm or excitement at all.

So, you mean the way I always talk? Okay.

Are "question marks" allowed[question mark] Are we permitted to be inquisitive[question mark] I have a Photoshop problem but now I'm afraid to ask.

EPs are pretty much the only non-renewable resource in the punctuation industry.

gnubler

youston

Quote from: gnubler on July 01, 2010, 09:53:19 AMPretty much?

Well, the semi-colon is threatened, but nobody uses those anymore, anyway. Why would you, when you can use a full-fledged colon for the same price?

Additionally, German grammarians are keeping a close watch on the umlaut, but I'm really not an expert on accent marks.

gnubler

I suspected you'd be aware of the sad fate of the semicolon (no dash there). I was afraid to mention it...bad karma, you know.

The semi and the full-fledged colon are not interchangeable, as tempting as it may look.