DVDs burned on Mac A show up empty on Mac B

Started by gnubler, January 07, 2011, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

There are DVD+RW and -RW that are rewritable. DVD+R and -R aren't.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Pone on January 10, 2011, 12:40:15 PM
Quote from: gnubler on January 10, 2011, 12:16:39 PMDVD+R.

What is the diff between the two?

DVD+/R is rewritable, they were thinking maybe the older Mac wanted to rewrite the DVD.
Isn't that DVD-RW?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on January 10, 2011, 12:41:42 PMThere are DVD+RW and -RW that are rewritable. DVD+R and -R aren't.

I mean the diff between +R and -R
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

andyfest

We use Toast on a daily basis for archiving - we always verify data though. No problems with the program, but occasionally we run into a bad DVD, esp if using dual-layer DVDs.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: andyfest on January 10, 2011, 12:44:39 PMWe use Toast on a daily basis for archiving - we always verify data though. No problems with the program, but occasionally we run into a bad DVD, esp if using dual-layer DVDs.

Ditto-Ditto.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on January 10, 2011, 12:43:23 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 10, 2011, 12:41:42 PMThere are DVD+RW and -RW that are rewritable. DVD+R and -R aren't.

DVD-R - pronounced 'DVD R" (not "DVD dash R")

DVD-R was created by the DVD Forum (see it at http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml). The most common DVD-R is a write­once 4.7gb "general purpose" disc, which is roughly equal to 120-minutes of standard playing lime.

Once recorded, a DVD-R can be played on most home DVD players. (Advertised as compatible with 90%+ of home DVD players.) General purpose DVD-R media is currently the cheapest & most common, and the newest DVD-R drives write at up to 4x. "General-purpose" discs are part of the industry's copy-protection scheme, which employ CES scrambling to protect movies and music and game discs from being copied. These discs can be burned by "general-purpose" DVD writers such as the Pioneer DVR-A05/A04/103, Panasonic LF-D3 1 1/D321, Toshiba TSDR5002, Apple Superdrive, etc. Such drives cannot copy the playback descrambling codes on DVD movies or game discs, preventing easy duplication of commercial discs.

DVD-RW - pronounced 'DVD R W" (not "DVD dash R W")

DVD-RW was created by the DVD Forum (see it at http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml). Generally comes in the single-sided, single layer 4.7gb capacity, which is roughly equal to 120-minutes of standard playing time.

In contrast to the write-once DVD-R types, the DVD-RW is fully re-writable or erasable up to 1,000 times. However, unlike the older DVD-RAM format, these particular erasables are NOT "random access", meaning that you cannot erase bits and pieces of them. Instead, you have to completely erase the whole disc to reuse it The DVD-RW can be played on many home DVD players, but not as many as the DVD-Rs.

DVD+RW - pronounced 'DVD plus R W"

This disc type was created by the "DVD+RW Alliance". A few companies who back the DVD Forum (above) are also active in the DVD+RW Alliance, but the two standards are not compatible.

The first "plus type" DVD recording format is DVD+RW. It, like DVD-RW, is a rewriteable 4.7gb DVD disc. DVD+RW, does have a couple of technical advantages — (1) lossless linking (which enables some editing after recording without a full erasure that DVD-RW requires), (2) a special drag-and-drop file support on the desktop (otherwise known as DVD+MRW). Unfortunately, the DVD+RW disc type does not compare well with DVD-R as far as DVD playback compatibility. However, the actual level of DVD workability on players of DVD+RW is claimed to be about equal to DVD-RW.

DVD+R - pronounced 'DVD plus R"

This disc type was created by the "DVD+RW Alliance". A few companies who back the DVD Forum (above) are also active in the DVD+RW Alliance, but the two standards are not compatible.

The newest "plus type" format is DVD+R. It's write-once disc is aimed at becoming more compatible with home DVD players. However, the fact is that so far it is only about as compatible as DVD-R discs are. Also, DVD+R discs are more expensive in today's market, and are not burnable by 1st generation "plus-type" burners, which were designed only for the DVD+RW rewriteable discs. Like DVD-R "general purpose" media, DVD+R cannot copy the descrambling codes found on DVD video discs, so commercial discs cannot easily be duplicated. DVD+R drives have recently reached the same maximum recording speeds as DVD-R drives. (4x)
(once you write some data to +R disc, you can also add some more data later,again and again. but you can not erase the data once you writen.)

DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM is used for data backups and storage, and for editing of video or audio content prior to the production of a final distribution DVD. The DVD-RAM disc type is made to act a lot like a hard drive, where the disc can be formatted for Macintosh or Windows type computers. It can handle 100,000 or more erasures, and should last for many years. Of course it is not playable on most DVD players. Type 2.0 DVD-RAM discs can be removed from their cases to enable playback on the few players in which they are compatible. The newer DVD-RAM drives can handle any sized such disc, including 2.6, 5.2, 4.7 or 9.4gb discs.

Some drives support two or more of the above DVD formats. Most add support for CD-R / CD-R W burning as well. But, no currently-available drive has support for all of the D VD / CD formats.

Read more: What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2279#ixzz1AexR69Hp
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Pone

Doh, that's what I meant. RW=Read Write.

I've also found that the DVD-R are the best for playing media on a DVD player.

gnubler

Quote from: gnubler on January 10, 2011, 12:43:23 PM

I found this on DCS's link:

QuoteDifference between DVD+ and DVD-

Generally speaking, the address method used by DVD+R (phase modulation) has a higher resistance to electromagnetic disturbances than the pre-pit method. When writing a disc, the write head must also read the pre-pits in order to position the data in the right place. Thus, the light emitted by the laser may cause disturbances.

What's more, given the period which corresponds to the length of a pre-pit (T1), the pre-pits are much harder to detect when the disc is being read more quickly. So it's not surprising that the first 16x burner on the market was DVD+RW.

This is why the DVD+R(W) format, for more recent technological specifications, offers better performance as well as additional features. On the other hand, DVD-R(W) has been ratified by the DVD Forum and was the first format used, so the majority of DVD drives (and especially DVD players) are compatible with it.

Most DVD burners support both formats. In conclusion, given that it is more compatible with standalone DVD players, DVD-R(W) is preferred for creating Video DVDs, while DVD+R(W) is superior for creating data discs.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 10, 2011, 01:37:36 PMI knew you'd find it eventually. :hello:

All I can think of when I see that emoticon is 'waxonwaxoff, waxonwaxoff, waxonwaxoff ...'

Sweep the leg, DCS.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: youston on January 10, 2011, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 10, 2011, 01:37:36 PMI knew you'd find it eventually. :hello:

All I can think of when I see that emoticon is 'waxonwaxoff, waxonwaxoff, waxonwaxoff ...'

Sweep the leg, DCS.

That is exactly why I keep using it. I didn't think anyone else would "get it." I was in err. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Youston is kinda "all knowing". Didn't you get the memo?  :hello:  :wtf:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Doing some testing now. Burned a DVD through Toast and ran thru the whole verify process. Burned same files thru Finder and got error (see dump), but disk mounted and files appear to be there. Will bring both disks home tonight to see what happens on home Mac. Will also check them on a PC.

frailer

Forgot about the obvious. Find these days, TDK  -R seem to be the most reliable. Won't bother now with anything else.
Current thinking is Made in Japan or Korea OK. Made en Chine, not OK. This could change over time, I guess.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.