replace hard drive on Mac

Started by DigiCorn, September 26, 2013, 10:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Can't be an IDE drive in a 2006 iMac. Sounds like faulty drive to me.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Never been in an iMac. I assumed it was SATA. Yea, I agree with Joe.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Just a thought since it's dry as hell. Make sure you ground yourself before touching the drive and installing it. It's possible to zap it with static electricity and that can cause it to do all sorts of weird stuff.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Thanks Guys! very helpful

and I bought the geeky wire thing you put on your wrist :laugh:

Farabomb

Then I'd say that static wasn't the issue and you just got a bad drive.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

The PowerMac G5 I replaced the drive on a few months ago has died again. When it boots, the fan seems to run a double the loudness and it never gets into the OS. It's running 10.5.8. I think it's a kernal panic, but going to try to boot to firewire DVD, as booting to the device DVD doesn't work. Any ideas?

When I rebuilt the drive, I did so with 2 new drives in a RAID 2.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Might be a RAM issue. I reseated it, and got three bongs and no startup. That usually means a RAM went bad...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 17, 2014, 11:47:10 AMMight be a RAM issue. I reseated it, and got three bongs and no startup. That usually means a RAM went bad...

Try removing one stick at a time and see if it will boot. Other than that, fans running on high usually indicates a logic board issue.

Farabomb

Yup, check one stick at a time and find the faulty one. I had some corsair that would do that from time to time and reseating would get it to work. One stick finally packed it up and I had to RMA the set. Lifetime warranty ended up getting me an upgrade from 4g to 6g because they didn't make the 4g matched set anymore.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

The matched sets of RAM were mismatched... but also on boot to firewire, the raid status says "degraded" so I guess I'll be replacing the drive again.... I can't remember if they were both new when I did this, or if only one was.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

I did buy a bad hard drive!
Up and running at home now!

I can wait a couple years before buying a new computer.

oh and let me know if you need your white iMac worked on :grin:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on March 31, 2014, 08:21:25 AMI did buy a bad hard drive!
Up and running at home now!

I can wait a couple years before buying a new computer.

oh and let me know if you need your white iMac worked on :grin:

It does happen sometimes. You can update it to OS X 10.7 but that is the end of the line for that Mac. Mine still runs great.