Wait, people are still using Quark?

Started by ninjaPB_43, February 15, 2014, 11:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

eh....   well, you got me.

lucky for me, I have Q10 as well...       I know, I know, you can just feel my excitement can't you?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on March 13, 2014, 05:37:58 PMeh....   well, you got me.

lucky for me, I have Q10 as well...       I know, I know, you can just feel my excitement can't you?

Ewwwwwww....I'm not feeling anything! :puke: Especially your Quark! :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

awwwww, come on...    you know you want to...

:lmao:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

David, you are here late. Did you mistakenly set your clocks back 4 hours last weekend instead of ahead 1 hour? You should have been home to Margaritaville hours ago!

:lmao:

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Is that anything like "Mods gone wild"?

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on March 13, 2014, 05:00:48 PM
Quote from: david on March 13, 2014, 04:49:21 PMlucky dog, I'll send you all my Q10 files...

Just how do you send zero files to someone? :laugh:

Brilliant!
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

David

back to my normal hours today...

abby normal anyway.

I have had a week full of training meetings, my butt is killing me after sitting on those stupid chairs they always have in the conference areas. Where do they get these torture devices? It's like these chairs are from the Middle Ages...

no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: david on March 14, 2014, 07:13:11 AMback to my normal hours today...

abby normal anyway.

I have had a week full of training meetings, my butt is killing me after sitting on those stupid chairs they always have in the conference areas. Where do they get these torture devices? It's like these chairs are from the Middle Ages...

no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
and you lived to tell about it! I am envious.  :laugh:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

the q is 10? we are still on 9.5

better upgrade...  :sarcasm:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

hurry corn! you don't know what you are missing!!!

on the other hand, maybe you do... 
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

QuoteBob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.

Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

hotmetal

:way2go:

Well, yeah, not only am I using Quark more than Indy at the moment, I'm actually making decent money off of the poor old thing.

I've been freelancing with a childrens' book publisher for almost a year, so far mostly bringing old versions up to date, converting files from the UK into US engrish, and various kinds of sales fliers. About half the books are in Quark. I got the job pretty much because they'd been having a terrible time finding someone who (1) had a copy and (2) knew how to use it. I'm now getting most of their freelance projects 'cause I know how this shit works pretty good and I always meet my deadlines. And my files always run.

So, yeah, when Quark announced their last chance to upgrade last year, I upgraded straight from 6 to 9, and the deal right then included a free upgrade to 10, which was just a few weeks away. So now I work in 10.1.1.0 and every legacy file I get gets brought all the way forward. I suppose I could bring files forward from v2 on providing some of the old machines stacked up in the basement still boot, but the furthest back I've had to reach so far has been 8, which opens in 9. I'm missing 7 & 8, so someday I may need to ask you guys for help bringing 6 or 7 forward to 8. Hope not! Especially those trickster pre-7 files...

Quark hasn't really changed much, at least not for the worse (that would be hard to fathom.) Most of the menus look the same as they looked 15 years ago. That helps, as I hadn't really used it since about 2001.

But it was like riding a bicycle. Helps to have a modern Mac with plenty of RAM.

The PDFs I've written out of Quark 10 have gone through smoothly at 2 different printers. Nothing I've seen yet had much in the way of transparency, and it's all been 4/C, so I'm not really twisting the tail of the output side. They claim that now you can generate layered PDFs with native transparency, but I haven't had any compelling reason yet to test that theory.

You may now begin the obligatory wailing and gnashing of teeth.

:old:
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson