Illustrator CS6 ai's

Started by almaink, May 24, 2013, 06:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almaink

So I get a rush job in today that was done in Illustrator CS6. Since I have not I tried to place the ai in InDesign and low and behold I get not the ai file I expected but a text message telling me to open the ai in Illustrator 6 and resave it with PDF content checked. WTF? Now I can't work with a file because a checkbox is left unchecked by default now and Adobe doesn't tell anyone until you get a file you can't use?
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

David

looks like you found another "better idiot"...

if you need, post it here and we can save it out for you.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Mikie

yep... if you don't click the Create PDF Compatible File button, you apparently don't get a preview, for whatever stupid ass reason.

almaink

Not only do you not get a preview you get that message instead of the actual file. I had the customer resave it for me this time. BTW I used to take ai's from versions of Illy I didn't have and drop them on distiller to get a PDF, that doesn't work anymore if that box isn't checked.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

David

thanks alma, good to know!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I've seen it in earlier versions also. Not sure about the Distiller feature, maybe I'll try one today.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

andyfest

Quote from: almaink on May 24, 2013, 06:54:26 AMSo I get a rush job in today that was done in Illustrator CS6. Since I have not I tried to place the ai in InDesign and low and behold I get not the ai file I expected but a text message telling me to open the ai in Illustrator 6 and resave it with PDF content checked. WTF? Now I can't work with a file because a checkbox is left unchecked by default now and Adobe doesn't tell anyone until you get a file you can't use?
That is true for most versions of Illy CS, at least from CS2 to CS6. If the artist didn't didn't check "pdf compatible" when saving the ai file, you are f**ked for opening it directly in Acrobat.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

almaink

Od that I never saw this before, not that I get a ton of .ai files tho.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

t-pat

fwiw Prinergy will refine AI files to PDF. I have to do this occasionally. One pitfall I've found is - If "bleed" is not specified as an amount in their document properties, it'll clip it to trim. Page boxes - they do mean something.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait