What digital presses should my company look at?

Started by Jaygames, January 27, 2012, 12:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 01, 2012, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: gnubler on February 01, 2012, 04:19:58 PMSpider's nest of network cables?

Yes, I've taken out the company's internet a couple times. :embarrassed:

Yeah, but that's no big deal. Nick, however, IS a big deal. It's like unleashing the Kraken from Clash of the Titans. He is bitchy. Even worse than me.

Relating Nick to the Kraken makes me picture this.

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Quote from: Slappy on February 01, 2012, 03:12:27 PMYeah, they did the same thing here with a Canon 7010VDP install. The thing vents right into where I sit with another prep guy. We ended up attaching some vents to it so it at least ducted mostly up into the ceiling. Then a Canon tech came through & said that would void our service agreement and we had to remove the vents. Asshole, you're the one who said it had hardly ANY exhaust smell, and then said we could attach the vents too!

Make the venting 'removable-on-demand'. When he's due to come out, remove/hide. When it breaks down, your compadre calls while you remove/hide it.    :whip:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on February 01, 2012, 04:24:38 PM
Quote from: gnubler on February 01, 2012, 04:19:58 PMSpider's nest of network cables?

Yeah, but that's no big deal. Nick, however, IS a big deal. It's like unleashing the Kraken from Clash of the Titans. He is bitchy. Even worse than me.

:laugh:

You know IT guys, if they can't sit and do "research", they complain.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 01, 2012, 04:54:39 PM
Quote from: Earendil on February 01, 2012, 04:24:38 PM

:laugh:

You know IT guys, they complain.

fixed
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

boosted29

Did they have to install some sort of large power convertor box thingy (No IT experience obv.) when they put your imagepress in?

We have this 4' x 3' x 3' box that stabilizes incoming power before it goes to the imagePress.
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

DigiCorn

Quote from: boosted29 on February 01, 2012, 09:43:36 PMDid they have to install some sort of large power convertor box thingy (No IT experience obv.) when they put your imagepress in?

We have this 4' x 3' x 3' box that stabilizes incoming power before it goes to the imagePress.
We have that on our platesetter.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

boosted29

Oh and we have a large fan directing hot exhaust from the back of the machine which feeds into another fan that blows the hot air right in the walkway toward our "breakroom".

Literal sweatshop?
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

t-pat

Quote from: boosted29 on February 02, 2012, 02:00:16 PMOh and we have a large fan directing hot exhaust from the back of the machine which feeds into another fan that blows the hot air right in the walkway toward our "breakroom".

Literal sweatshop?

go visit a heatset web shop during the summer and you'll count your blessings. At the old place people would literally drop from the heat and have to be taken out by paramedics.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Ear

My posse. I've seen it well over 130 back in our shop when the ovens are running. The heatsets each have gas ovens the size of a delivery van, running full tilt. Have had paramedics here for heat stroke victims.

Joe

My favorite thing in the middle of the summer is when a pressman comes into prepress looking like he's about to have a heat stroke...I casually ask him if it feels cold in here. :evil:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on February 02, 2012, 02:20:38 PMMy favorite thing in the middle of the summer is when a pressman comes into prepress looking like he's about to have a heat stroke...I casually ask him if it feels cold in here. :evil:

yeah they love that one  :lmao:

the old shop bought a commercial ice maker and had 5 gallon buckets of gatorade all over the shop floor. Eventually they also put in giant exhaust units on the roof, which really helped.

Someday... someday I might be back there. Miss the big boys.
vdp donkey

Ear

I heard strange noises (stranger than usual) coming from the men's room, one hot summer day. Went in and found one of the older guys on the floor, visibly dazed and sweating like a pedophile in a Barney suit. I called 911 and charged the mini defib machine. I wanted to zap him but he wouldn't let me.  Paramedics showed up quickly.

t-pat

Quote from: Earendil on February 02, 2012, 02:27:36 PMI heard strange noises (stranger than usual) coming from the men's room, one hot summer day. Went in and found one of the older guys on the floor, visibly dazed and sweating like a pedophile in a Barney suit. I called 911 and charged the mini defib machine. I wanted to zap him but he wouldn't let me.  Paramedics showed up quickly.

CLEAR!

I wonder if we have one of those here, it gets sorta boring sometimes and I feel like I need a little pick-me-up.
vdp donkey

Skryber

You have a defib machine?? Oooooh man. Good times??
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff