Xante Ilumina

Started by Slappy, October 08, 2012, 11:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

It appears they're installing a Xante Ilumina GS inkjet envelope printer here in the next few days. And by "here" I mean right here - in the prep dept. And we'll be operating the damned thing. Greeeeaaaaat.

Anybody have one of these little beasts and have any words of encouragement for me? PLEASE??  :banghead:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

Quote from: Slappy on October 08, 2012, 11:48:06 AMIt appears they're installing a Xante Ilumina GS inkjet envelope printer here in the next few days. And by "here" I mean right here - in the prep dept. And we'll be operating the damned thing. Greeeeaaaaat.

Anybody have one of these little beasts and have any words of encouragement for me? PLEASE??  :banghead:
we have a laser envelope printer that looks very similar, it is basically a Xerox 7400 with an envelope feeder and some crappy software. We haven't been running nearly as many envelopes on our GTO since getting that.

looks like yours is laser as well, not inkjet.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Slappy

Huh, well that's Lie #1 then! Many more to follow I'm sure.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

actually the print engine looks identical, the only differences I see are the feeder and delivery, ours is configured differently. The thing is a xerox 7400 but they've got to have bastard consumables, we have a 7400 and they don't take the same toner, or imaging units, the chip is different and it won't read them.

all in all though it isn't terrible. The rip blows ass though, for some reason you can't send a page range. This sucks for when we do mailings on it because the image position setup is terrible on it. yours hopefully has a better front end.
vdp donkey

Slappy

So, that happened Friday morning. Into early Friday afternoon. The installer had it all set up by the time I rolled in, doesn't take up much space fortunately. I have to say, it is one jury-rigged piece of machinery. As he was showing us all how to load it & adjust the feeder and the delivery belt thingy it just seemed very half-assed, but I guess it works as long as nobody nudges it. Luckily we have it tucked out of path of most people.

The print quality from what I've seen so far is - meh. It's a laser printer, plain & simple. I can't honestly believe it can replace our 2c press but maybe client expectations really have fallen so low I'll be wrong. Not real sure how good/bad the RIP is yet, we sent a few test jobs over and it was fine for basic setups. Oh, the one thing I do NOT like is that we have to create print presets in InDesign/Quark/Freehand for every single envelope size. You cannot just select it at print time, otherwise an A2 goes over as a Letter, as does a #10, a Monarch, etc. So my Print Preset Menu is going to be cluttered as shit. Not sure if there's a workaround to re-ordering them in CS6, even if there's a plug-in I have to buy.

I asked the installer about addressing inline and he's all "Oh yeah, it does it." Okay, show me on the RIP. "Oh, you have to do all that on the Mac end, this doesn't have anything built-in but it'll print them!" No shit, Sherlock. Couldn't tell us what formats the RIP accepts either or if every address in a 1500 name list would have to be individual PDFs. I'll poke around Monday, there's gotta be a faster way.

Yay for new hardware nobody has researched!  :death:

Farabomb

Isn't that always the case? Salesman comes in, blows smoke up the higher-ups ass then you have some P.O.S. that you have to make work.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

yeah ours looks like someone built it in their garage too, feeding is finicky. Rip is a joke, but it has one.

You'll need to buy special window envelopes if running those, or you'll melt the windows in the fuser too.
And of course if you're printing envelopes intended for lasering later, you can't. It'll re-fuse.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: Slappy on October 08, 2012, 11:48:06 AMIt appears they're installing a Xante Ilumina GS inkjet envelope printer here in the next few days. And by "here" I mean right here - in the prep dept. And we'll be operating the damned thing. Greeeeaaaaat.

Can't help you. I am doing the same thing, but on a Xerox 4110.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

yeah, ill trade you for my RISO anyday.

Tracy

we have a Xante in our copy dept
I don't like it, I always print from pdf
you have to be careful of the color profile
it seems to switch from no color management to postscript or something
I always check after I have printed to the xante
The only thing it is good for is the 4 color envelopes
that aren't worth printing IMO

t-pat

Quote from: Tracy on October 15, 2012, 01:44:40 PMwe have a Xante in our copy dept
I don't like it, I always print from pdf
you have to be careful of the color profile
it seems to switch from no color management to postscript or something
I always check after I have printed to the xante
The only thing it is good for is the 4 color envelopes
that aren't worth printing IMO
Agree with you on that - BUT - before we got ours probably half the jobs we printed on our GTO were 2 and 4 color envelopes. Now the percentage is like nearly zero. We dropped a shift on that press and are not hiring for that shift anytime soon.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 15, 2012, 02:17:12 PM
Quote from: Tracy on October 15, 2012, 01:44:40 PMaren't worth printing IMO
what is? except paychecks

You still get printed paychecks? How 19990's... :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

It's in the future, after the internet collapses and things are actually printed on paper again.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david