Can't send to Fiery RIP on Macs

Started by Slappy, October 17, 2012, 10:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

You can just go to the Xerox website, plug in your stuff and download the drivers direct (this is where Joe's link goes). I'm telling you the latest and greatest won't work in 10.6.8, but two versions ago will work. I'm using it right now.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Which version are you running? I'm poking around the server here & found the Driver Installer folder-looks like somebody already had the "Fiery Print Driver update for OS X v10.6" downloaded so who knows wtf I have on my rig. I still want to nuke all the DC260 drivers and re-install as long as I can get something that's good.

Quote from: DigiCorn"I'm telling you the latest and greatest won't work in 10.6.8, but two versions ago will work[
i don't even see where to get older drivers, just the newest ones.  :banghead:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on October 19, 2012, 07:02:49 AM
Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2012, 03:52:41 PMWe can do that from our 10.7.5 Macs but our operators prefer the file import option from CWS. First they were whining about not being able to print so I finally set them up without Appletalk and then they decided they like importing better than printing.

Sending a PDF to the RIP is better than printing PS, especially if your RIP has native support for transparency. You could see better quality output, faster processing, etc. Not sure if CWS has an hotfolder option, that'd be even better.

Greg

True, but is there a Fiery RIP that has native support for transparency? We have to flatten everything for ours. Usually just output a PDFX-1A for it. CWS does come with a Hotfolder application. At least ours does.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Slappy on October 19, 2012, 09:17:06 AMWhich version are you running? I'm poking around the server here & found the Driver Installer folder-looks like somebody already had the "Fiery Print Driver update for OS X v10.6" downloaded so who knows wtf I have on my rig. I still want to nuke all the DC260 drivers and re-install as long as I can get something that's good.

Quote from: DigiCorn"I'm telling you the latest and greatest won't work in 10.6.8, but two versions ago will work[
i don't even see where to get older drivers, just the newest ones.  :banghead:
Isn't this one the older driver?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Oh yah, thx! Just re-re-re-installed using that one, I'm still at square one. Guess if I ever see a tech in here who knows anything I'll ask. Otherwise, we'll just keep routing jobs through the old Mac that still sees it.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

Our techs don't know shit about the Fiery or networking. If you call for that reason, they'll refer you to some guy who speaks Farsi.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Figures. The thing is just a crappy proofer for me, I don't run any booklets or anything of worth on it really. The prep chick here can deal with that since her Mac is the one that still sees it.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Possum

I'm still running 10.6.0, because the next update screwed up our Fiery stuff.

What we do is print to the Hold hot folder, then do whatever in Command Work Station. It works fine unless we have to put in a custom page size. We usually only have that trouble with Quark, but if I make a PDF, it works fine.

We can print direct from Illustrator without too much trouble, but it's iffy.

I had the opposite problem from you until a year ago, trying to print to a Xerox 700 from Panther.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

Well, now I can't even print to the Shared Mac's Hold Queue. It says "The printer software was installed incorrectly. Please reinstall the printer's software or contact the manufacturer for assistance." and when I re-download the Fiery Print Driver installer & re-run it, doesn't change.

Oh fuck, now I can't print to the XC1000 either! Says the same thing. And of course they have NO fucking Time Machine backups configured for these Macs. Great.

:hangme: :shoots_self: :banghead:

It used to be that the Installer would also UN-install everything but I don't see that option. Guess I need to rip everything out by the short hairs manually then maybe I can try to start over. I'm not in the least hopeful that this will end well.

Slappy

Phew, luckily I had backed up the CUPS folder that's deep in the system (and was the one causing the problem) so I swapped it out, Repaired Permissions and at least I'm back where I started a few days ago. Just going to leave well enough alone for now and stop trying to do things the "right" way.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I guarantee you that none of us does certain things the "right" way on a day-to-day basis. We'd all like to, but customer demands and shitty art files require doing stuff that just makes it work.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

My effort at doing things the right way is destroyed on a daily basis.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Yeah, what IS the right way to do anything? It's all relative to your reality.
I do things the left way.  :grin:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david