News:

Main Menu

Nexus 8.5 r3

Started by whoami, October 15, 2007, 08:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T

Quote from: EmptyWords on October 22, 2007, 07:55:33 AMWell, finally got a chance to test out the new revision 3 of Nexus 8.5 and still get the same error at the TotalRip PDF module, this same error has happened with us for all of the revisions of 8.5, talked to tech support before and they told me it's my workflows (of course) and to rebuild them and I did and I still get the exact same error.

So, had to pull this version too and move back to 8.4.4, since we cannot get any preps imposed jobs to run, kinda sux, since the difference in speed of processing w/ the new version is blazing. Oh well...

Anybody else having any preps jobs error in the rip's TotalRip PDF module???

I've been using Total Rip and Preps since V1 (8.5) I've never had an issue with Total Rip. Well, I get out of memory sometimes, but we have 4 large format sheetfed presses and the Nexus gets bogged down once in a while. If we clean it off it works fine.

What is the error you keep having?
Are you imposing PDF to PDF in Preps?

T

EmptyWords

T,

We keep getting a missing font error in the totalrip module, we impose pdf and output pdf from preps to Nexus hotfolders, I can get the individual files to run through the total rip module, but when I run them through preps, any workflow that we have w/ a totalrip module in the makeup, will always error out.

Seems as though it does not like our preps for some reason. Oh, and by the way, thanks to all who have replied to my post.

EmptyWords
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

T

Do you have any custom smart marks in your Preps template? (that may be causing a font problem) Try outlining any custom smart mart placed in your template.

T

EmptyWords

We actually don't use smart marks, we have all our templates already pre-made w/ the old traditional marks, so when we finally upgraded to the newer version, we never changed them to smart marks.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

Joe

Is the font showing as missing if you preflight it in Acrobat? If it is, it will show exactly where the bad font is if you double click the entry in the preflight results.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

EmptyWords

Joe,

No, I thought the same thing, so I checked the files w/ both Acrobat and PitStop and they all check out fine, with no missing fonts, those exact same files that error out in 8.5 run w/ no errors or problems in our 8.4.4 version. It only seems to be an issue when I try to run it through any workflows, new or restored in Nexus 8.5 (any revision).

Joe

Hmmmm...I'd try two things. I'd print a job with Preps placeholders instead of PDF pages and see if it errors and also I'd print a job with only PDF's on it with no marks or text identifiers. If either one goes through without errors you will know the cause. If they both fail it's got to be a 8.5 issue. What does support say about the issue?

EmptyWords

When I contacted support in both revisions 1 and 2, they told me my workflows need to be rebuilt, which of course I did rebuild them with the same result. I also sent them a imposed pdf file that would not run through our rip, Long said it runs fine through the rip they have.

I did a little more pokin' round with the 8.5 version, I turned off any fails that were set in the workflow and made it run the file anyway, what came out was everything but any preps tag lines, so seems that any preps generated tag lines in the pdf file make it error out at the rip, funny since we can run the exact same file through our 8.4.4 version with no errors and the exact same workflow setups.

Joe

Just for kicks I'd make a new Preps tag line as a smartmark and see what happens.

Also what it in your Nexus fonts folder inside the Nexus app folder for 8.4 and 8.5? Identical?

EmptyWords

Damn Joe,

You should go to work for Artworks, serious, I didn't even think to check the differences between the versions, so I just did and they are very different, I don't have a Resources folder, nor do I have a PS DefaultFonts, PS Fonts, PS Inits, PS Library or PS Resources, the only thing I now have in the new version is a MacFonts folder, that's it.

I know I tried to point the module to the preps fonts that I copied over to our server to see if it would fix the problem and it failed anyway, so looks like they are handling fonts in a different way w/ 8.5.

Joe

I checked my 8.4 and 8.5 folder and they have the same folders in both. I'm on a PC with Nexus though instead of a Mac so maybe they are supposed to be different on a Mac? I'd check with support before you start copying stuff over from one to the other.

EmptyWords

Joe,

Thanks for your help, I e-mailed the problem w/ screen shots to support this morning, but have not heard from them yet. I checked the differences between the 8.5 vs the 8.4 version and they are very different. Hopefully they might can give me a route to take as far as fixing the problem.

Joe

You are welcome. Good luck with it.