Stupid Password Protected PDF!!

Started by Aaron, July 10, 2009, 08:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

So lucky me, we have a reprint of a job that printed somehow about 2 years ago when we had our old RIP (Brisque) that uses a password protected pdf. But the new RIP (Prinergy) won't let me rip it!!

I guess the Brisque didn't care it was password protected.

I've tried saving a .ps, saving a new pdf, saving as a tif and eps, even tried placing it into ID and nothing works. And of course the client doesn't remember the password.

Any ideas??
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Joe

If you have a Mac running OS X BEFORE Leopard you can open it with the ColorSync utility and do a "Save As" and this will remove the password protection. If that won't work try the demo of PDFKey Pro: PDFKey Pro
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Aaron

Thanks Joe. I don't have a machine running anything earlier than Leopard but the PDFKey Pro worked like a charm.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Joe

Yeah, it's a great little program. I should buy it someday. My demo expired a long time ago.

almaink

PDFKey Pro demo only does the first page of a PDF now and Color Sync trick no longer works.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Here is a freeware unlocker. Windows only. I just tried it on a 67 page PDF that was password protected. Worked great on it. Your mileage may vary.

Free PDF Unlocker 1.0.4 Download

Aaron

almaink

I downloaded it Joe but after I installed it it doesn't run completely. I get a window pops up looks like it's doing something then nothing. I did install it on Windows 2003 Server so maybe thats why? Although it says 2003 is supported.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

I didn't "run" it like that. I just dropped a PDF on the desktop icon and then the window opened and it reported each page it was doing. When done the window shut down and I had a new PDF on the desktop.

David

I just tried it on my PC with Win XP.
I made my own 105 page passworded PDF, dropped it on the icon on the desktop, all I got was a one page blank PDF.
and, I got no report or any window stating what it was doing.

WTF?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Hmmm....I tried an old PDF. Maybe it's not up to date with newer PDF's?

Joe

Double hmmmm...I just created a 100 page PDF in InDesign CS3 and password protected it from editing and it worked flawlessly. I got a new PDF with all 100 pages and the password was gone (no security).

David, was the PDF you made protected from just editing or also from opening. If you have to have a password to open it then there is a different method you have to use. I read that before I downloaded it yesterday.

David

I passworded it for opening and editing...

that's what I get for not reading the instructions.

DOH!

ps, so I don't have to, what are the instructions?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Lemme try to find it again. It was on the web somewhere. Probably on the DL site.

Joe

Looks like if they are protected from opening this software won't unlock them. I've never received one though that I had to have the password to open.