7 (53.8%)
Mac mini
2 (15.4%)
or Other (PC or Whatever)
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: November 28, 2010, 11:09:32 AM

tapdn

Quote from: gnubler on November 22, 2010, 03:05:25 PMGoodbye, Apple. I'm pretty convinced I will never buy anything directly from them again. Gonna get a replacement Mac on eBay or craigslist when the time comes.

Depends on what you are buying. I got more Mac for the money buying a referb directly from Apple, but the replacement power cord for my wife's Macbook was $79 from Apple... $16.89 total on ebay.

...and this old Mac vs PeeCee crap is getting pretty feckin boring  :sleepy:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

gnubler

Quote from: tapdn on November 23, 2010, 09:52:22 AM
Quote from: gnubler on November 22, 2010, 03:05:25 PMGoodbye, Apple. I'm pretty convinced I will never buy anything directly from them again. Gonna get a replacement Mac on eBay or craigslist when the time comes.

Depends on what you are buying. I got more Mac for the money buying a referb directly from Apple, but the replacement power cord for my wife's Macbook was $79 from Apple... $16.89 total on ebay.

My laptop was a refurb from Apple, I think it was $1600 in 2007. Or else I'm on crack and it was $800 - I don't remember but it's still in top shape and hasn't failed me yet. I'll just use it until it goes dark. I still have the same iPod from 2004 and it mostly works.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

prepressDog

Ok... Well, I guess I just hate Microsoft, PCs and Bill Gates = Remind me of Quark... Ha  :cheesy:

Guess I have some old PCs too.... but sure they still run like shit. Seems like every pc ive EVER used runs like shit after a year or so.
Gets full of viruses, spy shit, mailware or whatever... even if have a shitty virus scanner that takes 4 days to scan.

So Mac = Clean..... PC =  :banghead:

prepressDog

I tried to do a quick poll... set vote as 10 per user?
(dont do many polls in forms... so change if you want)

Idk if there is a way to put how many computers or just re-vote for how many You have....

Got a good idea... but trying show something to BossMans. They like charts or polls.... instead of reading all our jibb.

Thanks...

prepressDog

Never Mind.... My poll sucks. Ha.
Trash it Joe...

If someone can do a better one... if not no worries... Got plenty of info from this post.

Thanks again!!

pspdfppdfxhd

We HAVE to have the pc for PREPS and PRINTSHOP MAIL and various other programs work better on it.

macs and pc's cooperate much better today than they did when I got into this racket 11 years ago.

Abdulq60

Towers are best but take up a lot of space. I got Imac recently, spend lot on the screen size. Helps but not sure yet about breakdowns.
 :undecided:

Stiv

Just got word that I'm getting a 27" 2.93Ghz i7 w/16GB RAM and a 256GB Solid State Drive.

There goes my bonus.  :laugh:

frailer

You won't be disappointed, speed-wise. SSD hey?...someone's done their research.   :cool:

Quote from: Abdulq60 on November 26, 2010, 09:26:58 AMTowers are best but take up a lot of space. I got Imac recently, spend lot on the screen size. Helps but not sure yet about breakdowns.
 :undecided:

Agree. Let's see in 2 years. Apart from a logic board that died in the second week, on one, our 3 G5 towers haven't missed a beat. Not so sure about iMacs. The accessibility of towers is a big plus. They're dealing with heat dissipation better, too. Though the LED backlights on the 27" is a plus there.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

G_Town

My little bro just went from an G5 tower to an 27" imac and is getting weird characters on his screen, had him do an fsck and zapped the pram to no avail. told him to take it to the apple store. am i missing anything?

frailer

We are getting occasional mouse/display lockups/freezes. Have to button off. I run fsck, Verify Disk.   :shrug:  Having said that, I think I need to update OSX on both. One behind, from memory. On Monday's list.
G, have you got him to install applejack, and then run applejack AUTO restart? Dr. Joe's Medicine Oil.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

If he just bought it new I wouldn't screw with it. I'd make it Apple's problem.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Same applies here, really. If we keep getting those, I'd have to consider it a problem, and act accordingly. Once I've checked all up to date on OSX...wait and watch.   :undecided:
But yeah, G's bro's is not an intermittent. Sounds nastier.

pspdfppdfxhd

here's some weirdness...keep getting it here in "mail", not on every email and a restart and a cache clean sometime fixes.......not getting it in any other programs....tried changing the fonts in mail, no difference. New 27inch iMac.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pspdfppdfxhd

the names have been blurred to protect the innocent.