Mac mini
2 (15.4%)
or Other (PC or Whatever)
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: November 28, 2010, 11:09:32 AM

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 01, 2010, 11:18:15 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2010, 09:54:24 PMMy iMac has a bad ODD (Optical Disk Drive) fan. It's working but it's noisy as hell. Sounds like the bearings are shot. So how hard do you think it is to replace this little bugger? Follow the yellow brick road here.

Installing iMac Intel 20" EMC 2105 and 2118 Optical Drive Fan

Wish me luck.

As Peter Sellers said, in The Pink Panther, "Oh deary, deary me!"

Have you got a collage on the wall of all those shots? Arrows...flowchart? They really are not made for the upgrade/repair path, are they.   :undecided:    You probably got all the tools, but son got the little OWC tool case, replete with spudgers, etc. For a few bucks, well worth it. Got his MacBook open and shut, no worries.

Um...sounds lame, but good luck.

Further thought. If you use an old Amex card, you may get some Karl Malden karma.

No, actually I don't have the torx screwdrivers needed. I have been looking for a good set but didn't think to look at OWC. I will check theirs out. Thanks for the tip. I haven't ordered the fan yet. Mainly because I haven't been able to find it. :sad:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Grimace

Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2010, 11:26:09 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2010, 09:54:24 PMMy iMac has a bad ODD (Optical Disk Drive) fan. It's working but it's noisy as hell. Sounds like the bearings are shot. So how hard do you think it is to replace this little bugger? Follow the yellow brick road here.

Wish me luck.

Have you got a collage on the wall of all those shots? Arrows...flowchart? They really are not made for the upgrade/repair path, are they.   :undecided:    You probably got all the tools, but son got the little OWC tool case, replete with spudgers, etc. For a few bucks, well worth it. Got his MacBook open and shut, no worries.

Further thought. If you use an old Amex card, you may get some Karl Malden karma.

No, actually I don't have the torx screwdrivers needed. I have been looking for a good set but didn't think to look at OWC. I will check theirs out. Thanks for the tip. I haven't ordered the fan yet. Mainly because I haven't been able to find it. :sad:

Joe, the main thing I can offer about tearing apart an iMac, DO NOT touch the LCD screen once the protective glass is off.
It sounds like a no brainer, but you'll find putting it all back together there is little room to hold the screen in place while replacing screws. If you can get someone to help, you should.
I have a thumb print just visible in my upper left edge, only visible with some images, green for some reason shows it, but only if you know to look for it.
I've not been able to clean it off with the Apple supplied "soft towel" either, and it looks like the screen will scratch very easily.

Joe

Quote from: Grimace on December 02, 2010, 12:04:06 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2010, 11:26:09 PM

Wish me luck.

Joe, the main thing I can offer about tearing apart an iMac, DO NOT touch the LCD screen once the protective glass is off.
It sounds like a no brainer, but you'll find putting it all back together there is little room to hold the screen in place while replacing screws. If you can get someone to help, you should.
I have a thumb print just visible in my upper left edge, only visible with some images, green for some reason shows it, but only if you know to look for it.
I've not been able to clean it off with the Apple supplied "soft towel" either, and it looks like the screen will scratch very easily.

Thanks for the info. It seems my ODD sensor is not working causing it to run full tilt at 5000 rpm. I'm afraid just putting in a new fan will result in the same problem if the fan continues to run at full speed. Not having any luck at figuring out how to change the sensor. It appears, if I'm looking at the right thing, it is built into the logic board and we know what that means.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2010, 11:31:40 PMBINGO! I'm ordering this:

11-Piece Portable Toolkit

$17.95 - Can't go wrong there.

Sayyyy ... you gonna be needing those hemostats?  :ninja:

Joe

Yes, don't want to burn my fingers. :evil:

youston

Quote from: Joe on December 02, 2010, 12:36:45 PMYes, don't want to burn my fingers. :evil:

That's okay ... I guess after today I can buy my own!

David

why don't you whittle you a set...
or get Tap to do it...   in his "spare" time
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: youston on December 02, 2010, 12:24:05 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2010, 11:31:40 PMBINGO! I'm ordering this:

11-Piece Portable Toolkit

$17.95 - Can't go wrong there.

Sayyyy ... you gonna be needing those hemostats?  :ninja:

Artery locking forceps, to us.    :cheesy:   You been watching too much ER/Grey's Anat.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Farabomb

Been a while since I rolled something. Except my quad.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

At least you're not rolling pedestrians like a certain other member here. :cheesy:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

If I recall correctly, a pedestrian rolled under his wheel. He's a b4p member, so we accept his version.   Our main concern are the ambulance-chasing um...attorneys, I think you call them there.