12 pt. stock on Versant 180

Started by Possum, February 05, 2020, 03:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

Somebody's asking about doing a job on heavier stock than what we use. The CSR is looking at 12 pt. uncoated. Even if it falls within the GSM parameters of what the machine will run, we've never had 12 pt. stock for anything. Anybody have problems with that kind of paper on a Xerox (or other brand)?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

here you go...
I shit you not

took almost 2 weeks to run through the OKI C941e, white ink one side, paper mic'd out at .77 mm
1 guy to push into the feed tray, another on the delvery end to pull it out.

7000 copies
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Holy Cow!!
We run 12pt on our Konica all the time
and our Ricoh, we do up to 16pt maybe 18
but if your copier is spec'd that way I would ask a tech
what kind of Xerox do you have?

Possum

It's a Versant 180. The max GSM is 350, but even if the paper is lower weight than that, I worry about the thickness going around all those "corners" in the machine.

AaronH

We regularly run 130# through or Versant 80. Just have to set it to one sided only, and have it go face up in the finishing tray, that way it floats through the Xerox pretty flat with very little bending. Registering the second side might get tricky, but we've had some good luck keeping it straight at least with the default tray alignment.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Foozball

Quote from: AaronH on February 06, 2020, 12:05:54 PM
Registering the second side might get tricky, but we've had some good luck keeping it straight at least with the default tray alignment.
Does it work better if you tumble/roll it to back-up, as opposed to turning it?

AaronH

I haven't tried tumbling since we've had luck so far. It seems to print foot first, so we keep it that way for the reverse side.

You could give tumbling a shot, in the rip (ours is a Fiery) just 180º the second side if you try it.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

jwheeler

Here's the approved/tested media guide provided by Xerox. On page 4 it lists 12pt. So you're good to go: https://www.xerox.com/downloads/usa/en/supplies/rml/Versant180_RML_April2017.pdf

Possum

Thanks loads. That will help now and in the future. I had one for our 700, but forgot where I found it.  :embarrassed:

DigiCorn

350 gsm is pretty much the max for any digital. Our ColorPress handles it decently, but our Versant says 330 is enough for me; i'm trying to watch my weight.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

Now the request is up to 14 pt. We'll see how that goes.  :rotf:

wonderings

We had a Versant 2100, so basically the same thing. Ran all day and night 12pt, 14pt, 16pt without issue. You should have zero issues with a 12pt stock. My favourite uncoated stock was Lynx, ran great, held alignment and prints looked fantastic on it.

Possum

Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated.

DigiCorn

Quote from: wonderings on February 13, 2020, 10:59:46 AM
We had a Versant 2100, so basically the same thing. Ran all day and night 12pt, 14pt, 16pt without issue. You should have zero issues with a 12pt stock. My favourite uncoated stock was Lynx, ran great, held alignment and prints looked fantastic on it.
Yeah. Lynx is fantastic. Consistently one of the best stocks I've ever used. Across the board 60#-120#. We do run a lot of 16pt C1S and C2S (Tango) on our ColorPress, and it does run extremely well single sided. Double sided... well, that's a story for another day.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

Yeah, I've got a two-sided job. I see  manual duplexing in my future. Oh well, not like I haven't done that before.