XMF PDF proof preflight action list

Started by AaronH, June 04, 2020, 02:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 10, 2020, 05:34:56 AM
I've had manager get a pleading Labrador look at times and say 'they really would prefer to get it as email attachments'.
One would then graciously say, 'oh ohkay...' swearing under breath of course. Some ppl either don't know how, or are too lazy, to click on a download link and wait a minute.

I did come unstuck (notice I'm using past tense here) a few times with non-integrity/still vector-present PDFs, so would often, instead, Export a plate-faithful PDF outa Black Magic. They could get big, but I then downsized them with a Custom Optimise in Acrobat.

This is also a dementia test for me; hope you don't mind too much.

Maybe they should be flippin' burgers at the fast food place then. [/GrumpyOldManRant]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on June 08, 2020, 08:46:14 AM
Just wondering why you need to get the file size small enough to email and why do you need to rasterize them? There are several free services to upload PDF's to and send download links to people. The best representation would be a file with fonts embedded and not rasterized.

I have enough customers who request rasterized eproofs, one of them requests a high enough resolution that I have to let them know it's on the FTP site. I have no idea why, these people seem to think it's more accurate.

Otherwise, for size reasons, most of our customers can't figure out how dropbox, hightail, wetransfer or our own ftp site works. We also just bought out another printer here in town and have absorbed all their employees. Their customers are used to rasterized PDF proofs from out of InDesign somehow (They didn't have a RIP really).

There really is no winning. :hangme:

Quote from: frailer on June 10, 2020, 05:34:56 AM
I've had manager get a pleading Labrador look at times and say 'they really would prefer to get it as email attachments'.
One would then graciously say, 'oh ohkay...' swearing under breath of course. Some ppl either don't know how, or are too lazy, to click on a download link and wait a minute.

I did come unstuck (notice I'm using past tense here) a few times with non-integrity/still vector-present PDFs, so would often, instead, Export a plate-faithful PDF outa Black Magic. They could get big, but I then downsized them with a Custom Optimise in Acrobat.

This is also a dementia test for me; hope you don't mind too much.

I do have a custom optimization that I do, but I was hoping it could help reduce steps needed.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on June 10, 2020, 09:03:23 AMI have enough customers who request rasterized eproofs, one of them requests a high enough resolution that I have to let them know it's on the FTP site. I have no idea why, these people seem to think it's more accurate.

Otherwise, for size reasons, most of our customers can't figure out how dropbox, hightail, wetransfer or our own ftp site works. We also just bought out another printer here in town and have absorbed all their employees. Their customers are used to rasterized PDF proofs from out of InDesign somehow (They didn't have a RIP really).

There really is no winning. :hangme:

That is easy. Export as a JPEG from ID. Open JPEG in Acrobat and Save As PDF.

Realistically you are playing with fire if you don't let your your RIP export a PDF proof for a customer via the same method as your internal proof files and plate files are made so that all have a really good chance of producing the same output.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on June 10, 2020, 09:17:14 AM
That is easy. Export as a JPEG from ID. Open JPEG in Acrobat and Save As PDF.

Realistically you are playing with fire if you don't let your your RIP export a PDF proof for a customer via the same method as your internal proof files and plate files are made so that all have a really good chance of producing the same output.

Yeah it's dangerous. Our proofs now just downsample the images and outline fonts. I'm thinking it would be good to remove the font outline thing and just leave the PDFs as is.

abc

Only thing to really consider is overprint.
You can't depend on how the PDF is viewed at the other end of the chain.

AaronH

abc, is there a way to have it show overprint by default in the file so when the customer sees it it shows what it would look like with the overprints?

Thanks!

abc

Only by rasterizing. Viewing overprint correctly is the job of the viewing application.
If you don't have any control of the way they view, anything can happen

jlamb30

I generate a hi-res PDF proof, then open it in Acrobat to double-check, and have an Action Wizard action (2 clicks) that optimizes the PDF - keeps all vector objects/text as is, and downsamples images - and saves/overwrites the original PDF. Anything under 10 MB gets attached to email, anything over gets a WeTransfer link.

C2V

-derp-