Magnus 400 not connecting

Started by Ear, October 23, 2023, 01:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Hey buddies, I'm back at my original print shop and having trouble with an old Kodak system.

We have a Magnus 400 with an old PC controller. We had to replace the power supply and now the Magnus software won't connect. It tried to initialize then comes up with "XPO error 5164 - TCP/IP error". We have checked cables and everything looks okay... any ideas on things to check on the software end, assuming it isn't just a bad cable? I'm not very familiar with Kodak stuff, especially this old of a masheen.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Ear

;D  I told my coworker that I would need at least an hour for the probing before I get an answer, due to my absence. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Yeah, we'll get to that later.
So not an expert, but I do know that equip is picky about names, like the name of a share vs IP address?

Ear

I know how to make plates with the thing but unlike my old setup, I was not part of the install, so I'm in the dark about the connections. It has USB and SCSi connections, pretty ancient setup.

born2print

When you restart, try different order? PC then engine or vica versa?

Ear

Yep, tried that.

I was nervous about not trying to fix it ourselves, when it first went down but the boss was in a hurry and took it to a repair shop that we trust and they installed the power supply. I'm wondering if they hooked it up to something for diagnostics and screwed up a port ID or something.

DigiCorn

What's the IP address on the Magnus? Can you ping it?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

madbugger

We used to have a Lotem 400, baby version of what you have I think.
I remember vaguely having a similar issue, Creo engineer came in via remote access and resolved it. I think it was a porting issue from memory. Too long ago to remember.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Ear

Yes, we can see the Magnus control computer on the network. It starts to initialize the platesetter, turns on and when the production manager comes up and says "The Controller software cannot complete the startup process." and it gives the XPO TCP/IP error.

David

sounds like someone changed the old IP address (may have done it so they could connect to see if everything was working), do you know what it was originally so you can check to see?

my .02
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Hi Ear...

Is the IP address of the old PC controller still the same as it was before. (David snuck in ahead of me)

What is running on the PC controller? Windows XP?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I agree, David. We are digging to see if we can find what the IP and Port numbers should be.

This thing was on contract and they would just dial in to fix it, but that ended this year, so naturally it is time for it to break.  ::)

--- 

Joe, yes, the PC is running XP. I think it is the same but I'll see what I can find out. 

Joe

Is the old PC controller that is running XP seeing the network? Can it access the internet? Can you see that computer on the network from other computers?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Yes, it sees the network and is on the LAN but doesn't have the gateway number and I don't think it can access the "Internet". It's on the prepress network and when I look at network it says it has network access. It has a second network controller and says it has one connection.

It's weird because the controller PC starts the platesetter when you launch the Magness software, gets through part of initialization then shuts the platesetter off and throws an error.

.... hmmm, maybe it is the Araxi server connection and not the platesetter connection? It clearly has some connection to the platesetter but won't complete the init, so maybe it croaks when it tries to access the main Prinergy server...