JPG with transparentcy?

Started by Chilbear, February 07, 2012, 04:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilbear

OK going cuckoo. I am working on this web logo built in CS5 Mac Illy using a round cornered rectangle. When saved as PNG (high resolution) no issues but when saved as JPG (high res) round corners are showing white corners. The client insists on a JPG and I cannot find a solution having tried clipping paths, work paths, voodoo and Google. :deadhorse:
From my googling there is no solution that I gleaned from the M Soft web site. I feel dirty. :dev2:

Here is a capture form Paint to show import of the JPG. Now off to wash my hands..

delooch

jpg does not support transparency.  give him a .png - it works quite well in almost any desktop app..

or if hes stubborn make his corners the same color of whatever hes placing it on and tell him thats what you get.

David

In Illy, you may want to expand the object so the corners are truly rounded.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

boosted29

Yeah when I first started GUI Design I found the same thing out very quickly.  Go with a PNG and you should be golden.
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

delooch

actually not a bad format, high-res, small file size, transparency support, plus it plays well with windows & macOS natively.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on February 07, 2012, 06:10:58 PMExactly what Delooch says...

Ya, ditto10

Don't you love it when customers demand something that isn't technologically possible?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

delooch

Quote from: gnubler on February 08, 2012, 09:31:07 AM

Ya, ditto10

Don't you love it when customers demand something that isn't technologically possible?

or physically, like 200 prints of a 90 page duplexed color document in 15 minutes...

gnubler

Quote from: delooch on February 08, 2012, 09:39:58 AM
Quote from: gnubler on February 08, 2012, 09:31:07 AM

Ya, ditto10

or physically, like 200 prints of a 90 page duplexed color document in 15 minutes...

...always on a Friday at 4:38pm because someone will die if they don't have it for the weekend. Even better when they don't pick it up until early Monday morning.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

IIRC .pngs can also have extra stuff in them when made with with Fireworks - type, layers, vectors, animation, slices, rollovers, lots of good stuff for the web. Been a while since I've done anything with it but in a past life I was banner boy and used Fireworks for that, my native files would be .pngs
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Chilbear

He is happy with the PNG but mentioned this am why can't I open it? More questions leads to using a program for sign making that he "uses" to view incoming files (they are a sign shop). He easily made and saved a JPG without the corners and wanted to open the PNG to re-purpose the contents. NO I said a logo is to be used not massaged. So I gave him an EPS and he is thrilled now. :wtf:

Whatever. I have the color catalogue work designed and ready to print now we have stopped fooling with the new corp logo that he is placing in his version of the website till I get hold of it sometime this year. Square peg round hole fit with a cheap piece of software.

Thanks everyone.

delooch

it would be nice if they just came out and told you what they were trying to do, instead of asking for what they think they want.

DigiCorn

Usually the more defensive they get, the less they know.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

True. Every time I get the good ole logo request I ask "what are they using it for?"

Since it seems so difficult to get an answer to that I stopped caring and just make a PDF & JPG of everything. Since customers love JPGs I usually don't hear from them again.