Adding Bleed to a pdf.

Started by ninjaPB_43, September 17, 2007, 09:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriano

Still not drinking. Never been better

gumbylives

Just a stupid question but where is the attachment?
I can't seem to find out where to look to get this actionlist.
Any help would be appreciated :shocked:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gumbylives on March 11, 2008, 02:52:20 PMJust a stupid question but where is the attachment?
I can't seem to find out where to look to get this actionlist.
Any help would be appreciated :shocked:

Page 1, third post down. Where it says: "Add Bleed.zip" Click and will download.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Bear in mind, too, that you gotta be logged in to see the .zip link.

Oh, BTW gumbylives, let me know if you need a pointer to upload a gumby avatar. The Blockheads are currently unemployed.  :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on March 11, 2008, 04:29:59 PMBear in mind, too, that you gotta be logged in to see the .zip link.

Oh, BTW gumbylives, let me know if you need a pointer to upload a gumby avatar. The Blockheads are currently unemployed.  :laugh:

I was not aware of that, thanks Frailer.
Member #285 - Civilian

Cool Hand Luke

Hello fellow prepress slaves.

I just found this forum when browsing the prepressure.com site. I added this thought to their bleed section, so what the hell, I'll add it here too, FWLIW...

Any prepress person not using PitStop along with Acrobat is causing a lot of trouble for themselves.

The easiest way to fix bleed issues if native files are not provided is to parse out the image into Photoshop and increase the canvas size of the image, then free transform and/or clone in the necessary bleed. Just enlarging the image in Acrobat isn't always the best option. If you parse out the image and increase the canvas size, then add bleed by either free transforming it or cloning in bleed, you will then need to resize the image (after saving it back into Acrobat) to the same dimensions you used when resizing the canvas in Photoshop.

It's up to prepress departments to make their customers aware of the necessity of bleed. Inform your customers if they want their images or graphics to extend past the page edge then they must place these images at least 1/8 (.125)" past the trim line. If customers can't do this or won't do this then they need to know you may have to move and/or manipulate the image, or otherwise images placed right on the page edge may have an unintentional, ugly border around them.

Also, the blur tool and blur effect in Photoshop are your friends. ;)

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Sometimes, ya get lucky... :grin:   Had an A3 poster and a DL flyer come in yesterday, no bleed. There were other probs too, but "fixable"...e.g.rich black butting to 100K in a panel. Was able to contact for a re-supply, and, lo and behold, when she got the DG to re-do it, it had bleed...as well as the other probs fixed. Had obviously just chosen the wrong Export profile...

Still makes you wanna slash your wrists, though. So often we're fixing stuff due to carelessness/ slap-dashery at the other end.     :angry:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Some advice...maybe it's just the file I used to test it...

Had a PDF where the Crop Box was the outside page margin, and the Trim, Bleed and Art boxes were all showing the true "trim" size.
Prolly not feeding the right data in up-front; but when I Run it, it shows "No Problem Fixed/Not required"...words to that effect. Can post a screenshot or two tomorrow when at work, if needed.
As I say, may be just the dud file that isn't amenable to the EAL.   Or I'm needing to input more info before kick-off.   Only lately getting into EALs. We tend not to get bulk multipage PDFs which need them. But then they work just as well on a single page...so should get into'em.   :embarrassed:      :undecided:

mattbeals

Not sure if any of you are aware or not but PitStop Pro 08 now has a limited ability to automatically create bleeds as part of the preflight process.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Thanks for that info. I'll be waiting to upgrade until it becomes Acrobat 9 compatible. My one question though is how does it accomplish this? Does the bleed actually have to have been pulled out in the originating application and Pitstop just uncovers it or is there some other miracle occurring here?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

PrepressCrapFixer

Good question Joe.  I would be interested in knowing that too.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

DigitalCrapShoveler

Before he says anything.... I believe it is a modified version of the action list presented earlier in this thread. It will not "magically" create bleed, anymore than Prepress is as easy as pushing a button!
Member #285 - Civilian

PrepressCrapFixer

Sounds like all it does is add a bleed margin.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

ninjaPB_43

my guess would be that's why matt said "limited" ability..  just a guess.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley