File name length limitation in Nexus?

Started by G_Town, February 01, 2008, 08:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

Is there one? I know to avoid wacky characters and the like not sure about name lengths.

ChrisP

Yes, not sure how many characters, but it will give you an error message that the name is too long. I just wait for the warning and shorten it. Yes, some times your sure the name is too long and Nexus accepts it. (shrugs)
A rat always knows when he's in with weasels.-Tom Waits

Joe

It's a tricky issue. It's 255 characters if there are no Windows servers running Services for Macintosh but if there are shares being used that are on a Windows server running SFM then the limit is 31 characters. For example, if I run rasters to our Nexus_Data drive that are longer than 31 characters it gets truncated on the Mac because I am accessing that drive on a Windows server running SFM but if I go over to the Windows box the full file name is there. Since Nexus Manager accesses the drive via AFP to the Windows box it will tell me the "Control volume not mounted" if I try to view the page. It is mounted but Nexus Manager can't resolve the shorter truncated name it is seeing because it's looking for the long name from within the low res EPS link file. You would think you could mount it via SMB and all would be well but it isn't. Nexus doesn't do SMB. The example on the other end is our plate files...We can use long file names for them because we don't have to access them on a Mac. Our proofer and CTP boxes are both Windows boxes so the long filenames show up intact on both of these boxes.

Simple explanation is 31 characters on a Mac using Windows SFM to mount the shares or pre OS X Macs. 255 characters if you don't use Windows SFM. In reality I don't think you can name something 255 characters because I think that limit also includes the directory path to the file.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Thanks for the splanation, we try to keep our names under 10 characters or so but had a sent in job in artpro and the name was like 20 and using a hot folder it couldn't find the .ct it was using in the file, print it and it was fine.