CS3 - step and Repeat - WTF?

Started by ninjaPB_43, December 06, 2007, 02:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

Why in the world would they make the step and repeat function keep the selection on item that was stepped, instead of how it has been in past versions where the "new" selection is the stepped item?   Make sense?

anybody know how to change this back to like it was in CS2 & CS1?  Im officially insane now..

???

:ninja:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

duck

That's been bugging me as well.
Can't find anything online. I'll watch this thread to see if anyone knows a way to change it.
For those who bend over and take it hard daily
to ensure that the client's half-assed problem files
get fixed, processed, printed and sent out
so it can make it to the end user's trash can
on time and with no errors.

ninjaPB_43

certainly is a bugger inside my prepress nostrel, I tells ya..   truly maddening, ADOBE!!  >:(
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

David

that is weird.

one thing you can do is to step 1 (either vert. or horiz.), then hit the duplicate (command, option, shift, D) and it will step them across with the distance you first stepped the original.

friggen' workarounds...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ninjaPB_43

ewwwwww....     that's a workaround alright..    kinda..   

thanks David..   :P

jezza

I've been doing that as well. Friggin weired, that's actually Quark functionality. Must've been a feature request!

It kind of makes sense, in the same way you can apply the last filter function in Photoshop etc. Apply once is one key stroke/dialog box, apply another time is 'apple F', the previous command is remembered and reapplied. Basically it's a repeat command without redefining it. Like I say, it kind of makes sense.
one sick prepress mofo

ninjaPB_43

That does make some sense, jezza, but what about when I dont want to repeat the exact same step(horizonatally, lets say), but I want to step the item that I just created by step and repeat on a vertical step, then I have to go to the mouse and manually select that item.. 

that's actually what bugs me..

before, I could do the first step, and the new item would already be selected and I could just hit the quick key for step and repeat again and change the parameters and hit enter and be done..   now I gotta do all that selecting before the next step and repeat..    there's gotta be a way to change a preference somewhere...    at least I hope..   :(

jezza

If you don't want to reapply the same command, then you must redefine it, but I get what you're saying. It does seem strange.
one sick prepress mofo

Joe

In the step and repeat dialog box turn on the "Preview". It then works the way you want it to.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on December 06, 2007, 08:51:29 PMIn the step and repeat dialog box turn on the "Preview". It then works the way you want it to.

ooo la la..     me likey you words..  I'll give it a go in the am. 

almaink

Quote from: Joe on December 06, 2007, 08:51:29 PMIn the step and repeat dialog box turn on the "Preview". It then works the way you want it to.

Not for me it don't. I want the old step and repeat back! WTF do they always have to "fix" things that ain't broke!
I've had the CS3 suite for almost a year now and still can't get used to using it, this is the longest amount of time it's taken for me to "adapt" to any Adobe upgrade and it's not just Indy either, I hate CS3 in general.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Pointyhat

From the Adobe forums:

The preview needs to on when you open the dialog.
If it is off turn it on, cancel the dialog and call again.

ninjaPB_43

worked a dream..  many thanks Joe.

Joe

Quote from: almaink on December 07, 2007, 07:14:32 AM

Not for me it don't. I want the old step and repeat back! WTF do they always have to "fix" things that ain't broke!
I've had the CS3 suite for almost a year now and still can't get used to using it, this is the longest amount of time it's taken for me to "adapt" to any Adobe upgrade and it's not just Indy either, I hate CS3 in general.

Really? Is your InDesign updated to the latest version? It worked on two different installs for me but I did have to turn the preview on and click okay one time for it to work for future times but it seems as long as that preview is on by default it holds for me.

I have to agree with the rest of your statement on CS3. Sometimes they would be better off just leaving things alone. But if they do that I guess there is no reason for upgrades. LOL Can't kill the goose that lays the golden egg. The UI is the worst thing in all of CS3 and on this point I'll give Microsoft some credit. Even in Vista you have the option to go back to the older Windows UI. I wish Adobe would have given me that choice...especially with Acrobat.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

Well I like just about nothing in Indy CS3, the pallets suck, I hate the new pages layout, step and repeat even with preview on, doesn't always work the way I want it to. It does have a few cool things to be fair like multi image placing, but I already had a script to do that with since CS1.  Bloat sucks...
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers