Rampage and Preps workflow

Started by kermit, September 18, 2007, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

I am testing Preps 5 with Rampage. I noticed that I don't have option for making eps files out of preps. In version 4.x my regular workflow is to make PDF (from Indesign) or EPS (from Quark using Font Wizard) and rip it. Rampage was making FPO that we used in Preps. From Preps we printed to File and each signature was separate EPS file, that we manually renamed to something with meaning. I ripped Preps made eps files and Rampage replaced fpos with Hi-res. Everything was nice and quick.

Now, that I don't have options for EPS, my question is what do you guys use? What is your workflow?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

mwc

Use the ps file...same thing.

Depending on how your preps config file is altered (find it and use a text editor)...you can change file and suffix naming for ps and PDF files.
We had changed it to .eps,  but the default .sig file is recognized by rampage.

We still use the same workflow as we did in 4.2...nothing changed there.

kermit

Quote from: mwc on September 18, 2007, 10:51:20 AMWe still use the same workflow as we did in 4.2...nothing changed there.

What is your workflow?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

mwc

;D  It's in my signature....

Rampage 9.4

BTW - EPS to FPO to PREPS

kermit

I guess I should be more specific as I was asking either PDF or EPS with FPOs in Rampage.

What do you do from Indesign CS3 - PDF or EPS?
What do you do from Quark? - PS, that you distill it, EPS with Font Wizard, or direct PDF export?

Do you always make FPO when you rip in Rampage if the job will be used in Preps?

almaink

All PDF here. I export to PDF from Quack(for Quack jobs), impose with Indy CS2 then export that to PDF at plate size.
With Indy I just impose and export as PDF.
I've used FPO PDF for a few jobs but really didn't see any speed advantage to doing it.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

kermit

Quote from: almaink on September 18, 2007, 11:40:10 AMAll PDF here. I've used FPO PDF for a few jobs but really didn't see any speed advantage to doing it.

What if you just have only 3 pages with corrections out of 120 page book? I don't think you can select range in rampage when you register pages to rip? Do you still rip the whole pdf and import only 3 pages with changes into preps again?

Lammy

Quote from: staten on September 18, 2007, 11:52:16 AM
Quote from: almaink on September 18, 2007, 11:40:10 AMAll PDF here. I've used FPO PDF for a few jobs but really didn't see any speed advantage to doing it.

What if you just have only 3 pages with corrections out of 120 page book? I don't think you can select range in rampage when you register pages to rip? Do you still rip the whole pdf and import only 3 pages with changes into preps again?

You can specify which pages of a PDF for RAMpage to rip when you register it. When you add the file to the window there's a field that shows up next to the page. I don't have it in front of me but I think it was "range"
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

kermit

Well, you are right Lammy but for some unknown reason my Rampage (10.4b9) says always ALL in range and it doesn't give me any other options.

Do you think Rampage doesn't like me?

I admit I told Peter G. that I would not buy Rampage again but hey - it's nothing personal - it's just business.

mwc

Quote from: staten on September 18, 2007, 07:56:26 PMWell, you are right Lammy but for some unknown reason my Rampage (10.4b9) says always ALL in range and it doesn't give me any other options.

Do you think Rampage doesn't like me?

I admit I told Peter G. that I would not buy Rampage again but hey - it's nothing personal - it's just business.

Just type the page range you want in place of the ALL.
1-6,10-12
etc....

kermit

It really works. I guess I never thought this is editable field. Thanks!