Rough week for Joe and computers

Started by Joe, October 24, 2008, 10:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

VISTA SUCKS!!!

See my Mac thread about my Mac woes this week. Since my Mac is out of service I've been using a Vista PC. :puke: Anywhoo, last night it keeps popping up messages that the system drive has files that are corrupt and unreadable and I should run CHKDSK to fix it and fix it indeed I did. After fixing it, it no longer would boot. Almost but then BSOD-n-reboot, BSOD-n-reboot, and on and on and on. Tried doing a repair from the Vista CD. Said it repaired it but, you guessed it, BSOD-n-reboot over and over. So...screw computers, where the hell is my old light table, exacto knives, and vertical camera?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

The Stevinator

I'm with you.  After this week I feel like destroying something beautiful.
SJM

G_Town

Let's go Joe I'll bring the Opaque some brushes and a nice T-Square, we'll call ourselves RetroGraphics.

Maybe you should try that new Mojave from Microsoft I hear it's nifty :laugh:

gnubler

Quote from: G_Town on October 24, 2008, 11:39:09 AMLet's go Joe I'll bring the Opaque some brushes and a nice T-Square, we'll call ourselves RetroGraphics.

I'm dreading being forced to use Mojave or Vista. Here we all use Adobe CS1 and XP workstations. A few weeks ago I heard a brief mention about "upgrading Adobe and getting Vista" and I was flooded with feelings of bloody terror and trembling anxiety.

I would watch a 3-hour monologue of Bono spewing his philanthropic bullshit if it meant no Vista.

Does Mojave come bundled with PAP? If so, I might reconsider.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

tapdn

If it makes you feel better, Joe, micro$oft doesn't use that name for it anymore- you know, the V word. It's now just called windows so no one will know it's a piece of crap. :laugh:
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

...if I was forced to use Vista I would quit and go back to being a cowboy.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Hey gnub, Vista is "usable" only if you have complete new hardware, lots of ram and a fast video card. If they are thinking of upgrading older machines you should start planning your escape now. :wink:

Joe

Quote from: tapdn on October 24, 2008, 11:48:49 AMIf it makes you feel better, Joe, micro$oft doesn't use that name for it anymore- you know, the V word. It's now just called windows so no one will know it's a piece of crap. :laugh:
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

...if I was forced to use Vista I would quit and go back to being a cowboy.

I wasn't really forced to. The Vista PC was located "away from herd" which is where I like to be. I could have used one of the day shifts girls Intel Mac but it sits right next to a very chatty kathy type of person. I need my silence or I might have to kill him. :laugh:

gnubler

Quote from: tapdn on October 24, 2008, 11:48:49 AMIf it makes you feel better, Joe, micro$oft doesn't use that name for it anymore- you know, the V word.

Funny, that's exactly what I said when I heard it mentioned here.

"Please, don't say the V word"
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on October 24, 2008, 11:56:15 AMHey gnub, Vista is "usable" only if you have complete new hardware, lots of ram and a fast video card. If they are thinking of upgrading older machines you should start planning your escape now. :wink:

Yes, Bossman is aware of the extraneous expenses involved in an upgrade, which probably equals several months salary for each of us. Absolutely no reason to upgrade - the tools we have now do the job just fine. We don't get native files from clients because we only accept PDFs, so there's no version conflict issues or anything.

Joe

Quote from: G_Town on October 24, 2008, 11:39:09 AMLet's go Joe I'll bring the Opaque some brushes and a nice T-Square, we'll call ourselves RetroGraphics.

We are (me mainly) dinosaurs.  :laugh:

tapdn

Count me in. I be Dino and :rolleyes: I remember how to cut Rubylith and I got my very own X-acto knife!
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: tapdn on October 24, 2008, 12:14:00 PMCount me in. I be Dino and :rolleyes: I remember how to cut Rubylith and I got my very own X-acto knife!

Hand developing in the dark. Good place to recover from hangovers. Ahhhhh...the good old days.

Possum

Hey, Joe, come on over. We've still got our old developing trays and even bamboo tongs. You could slosh around a little in them and relive your youth. Might even be able to find some old PMT paper.  :grin:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

tapdn

Quote from: Joe on October 24, 2008, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: tapdn on October 24, 2008, 12:14:00 PMCount me in. I be Dino and :rolleyes: I remember how to cut Rubylith and I got my very own X-acto knife!

Hand developing in the dark. Good place to recover from hangovers. Ahhhhh...the good old days.

Not to mention the chemicals they use to use in the pressroom that killed more brain cells than my booze and drug consumption combined!
...did I mention all day exposure to ultraviolet rays???
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

David

ahh, uv and fixer...

them's the days...

any you guys ever do metalphoto?

It is developed (like film) using MEK.
flash point of 7 degrees, burned more brain cells than spray paint with that stuff.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca