News:

Main Menu

Any other users?

Started by frailer, September 26, 2009, 04:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polbol

XMF demo version....
The Price around 20000Е. If come to a conclusion about buying, we want to find in XMF something greater than APPE and imposishion Our works amount 30-40 rolls of the film AGFA 669*60 at month.

frailer

I guess it would depend on how critical your images are, nature of your work etc. If you are not experiencing too many transparency/flattening problems, and PREPS is doing the job for you, you can put it off for a while.
Bear in mind though, Fujifilm stated that Celebrant would at some stage cease to have an upgrade value. I.e. you would be paying full price for XMF after that, not an upgrade price.
Also, they officially ceased further maintenance on bug fixes etc. last month. It is now a legacy product.
It is a lot of Euros, but the person with the say on the money needs to keep these things in mind. You will only slide backwards from here.
Oh, also, be careful with imposition licencing. If 2 people need to be imposing in XMF at the same time, 1 seat is not enough. You have to both quit out of XMF client, then the person passing the impo to you as to restart after you. Can be a PITA.
When the time comes, you could try and get a reduction on the amount of the extra impo.
Just some thoughts.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

polbol

If you build a printing press. XMF is more profitable, better. (CS2-4, XMF). Now we have (CS2-4, pitstop, quit imposing-Acrobat, imposer pro-indesign, preps, celebra). Preps for large orders. Small (4-cover, 2-cover, etc.) is faster to do in InDes, Acrobat

polbol

Which program is better to make Web Growth? preps or xmf? print Newsline S30. (roll, newspaper). Preps very long processes files ... In the Internet is very little information on the practical application of this option in Russian

polbol

On the Internet I found very few users Celebra, luxel and other products ffei. To exchange experience.

Or little installation of equipment in Russia or these products work very well. :)) and require additional information

frailer

Sheetfed here. Web growth would scare the pants off me.   :shocked:  Someone who does web may have some input.

Not a lot of FFEI users here. Mainly a north American group. More Kodak/Agfa/Heidelberg+ others like RamPage, Nexus. There are some threads over at printplanet.com forums. One or two not happy with some stuff, but I don't quite understand what they were complaining about to be honest.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: polbol on November 11, 2009, 02:44:42 PMWhich program is better to make Web Growth? preps or xmf? print Newsline S30. (roll, newspaper). Preps very long processes files ... In the Internet is very little information on the practical application of this option in Russian

I know nothing of web growth in XMF but I do know web growth in Preps. If you are printing from Preps to a printer you have to print as In-RIP separations and this will give you separated output but the Printer/RIP you are printing to will have to understand the output from Preps which means the colors are different sized as that's what web growth does. We used to have to print twice. Once as Host-based for composite output for proofs and then again with Web Growth applied for outputting one-bit tifs for plates. It works but kind of a pain.

Then Preps added web growth to JDF output. If you can output a JDF file with web growth applied then your RIP has to be able to understand it in the JDF file. If it does you are golden. If it doesn't it just ignores it. Since moving to Prinergy, web growth is applied during the screening to one-bit tiffs and has made my life a whole lot simpler.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

impodave

Frailer, what happened when you left the trapping on centered ???  I'm trying to get the proofing situation before I send a pretty huge job to plate.  Reverse type looks plugged on the prooof, but looks OK previewing  same doc in the edit window.  Your thoughts ....
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

impodave

Well, it appears that fixed the problem.  I remembered reading your post a while back.  Oh yeah, I'm still here.  Did a 4.5 hour online meeting today, then had to call him back when I discovered all of the paths were out of sorts - anyway the new proof looks AOK.  Thanx again.  Later...
<<<<<< Here's my Grandkids once again -- they're growing up way too fast !!    Fuji XMF V6.8.2 Complete, Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Epson 7900/EFI XF V4.0, Fuji Dart 4300E, Komori L528 5 color, Komori L429P 4 color,  Heidelberg PM46 2 color, Ricoh, Kyocera, Xante Impressia and a shop full of finishing stuff ...

frailer

From what I can gather, and the tech advice on this is not too 'deep', centred is a one-size-fits-all setting. Which in some instances may work, and may be what you want. But 'Normal' takes into account more factors in terms of what's under the element to be trapped; generally smarter, I guess.
The other one to watch is under Trapping Threshholds. just below...'Sliding trap' is default at 70%. If you ever have problems with fine type where the serifs are being unevenly trapped, change it to 90% for that job, and re-render. Should fix it well enough.
Sliding Trap is where an element is being trapped across a gradient, or similar. 70% is the default for most situations if XMF is confronted with such a trap.
That's as deep and meaningful as they got on this. As to the whys and wherefors... :shrug:

LOL, it's 1200 hrs Friday here. I've gotta do the subtraction. And yeah, we first noticed trapping 'centred' problems when a fine vector 4 col illustration trapped thick'n'ugly. Similar to your problem, I guess. Grrr...dumb setting. Since I reset the 'Normal' as the default for those tickets, I haven'yt had to think about trapping. Well, not until an in-house desinger place coloured type straddled over a tint box...running over an image. Nothing would fix that, except some PhotoShop work to extend the image.   :banghead:

frailer

...just playing around here, waiting for plate output, dave. This is something I'm a bit green on, as we don't do huge volumes of flatwork, or ganging, but it's good to know, and not readily obvious.

If you kick off a Flatwork job, hit the red button. This will take you into the page setup thumbnail, which is 'live', and you can number, set number of vertical/horizontal pages, make single sided/sheet etc.
-now...if you decide it's a stuffup, and you want to start again, hit the red button again. Once setup is initiated, it will flick the previous and update.
-OK, if you now want to add Independent pages, hit the green button. It will add another page(s) on the sheet, and you can adjust/move etc....

Bear in mind I'm still playing with this myself. Well, playing with something, anyway...    :laugh:

...see attached.

...and let's 'tweak' that. When you want to add, say, a 2nd Sig...like gang a biz card, de-select all in window. Then, the only active button will be the 'green' one, as indicated below. You will then get the window to set up that Sig, and add it/move it on the sheet. Same applies for setting the measuring stuff to Dyna. The Ctl+Shift~click for your set-to point. Then another click on the point on the object to be moved...set X, Y offsets in field on right...update. We'll get there!    :laugh:  My mind's (slightly) clearer than yours at the moment.   :cheesy:

Joe

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I have a headache for some reason. :laugh:

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 11, 2010, 10:15:06 PM:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I have a headache for some reason. :laugh:

:laugh:  ...numbness sets in after a while.    :cheesy:
But really, it's not so bad, once you get used to the slight illogicality of the windows/buttons. Just like Dynastrip, really. Oh, OK...the reason for the headache.    :undecided:

Joe

It's too late in the week for me to think hard enough to decipher what you said up there. Maybe Monday I'll read it again. :tongue: But I'll give you credit...you sound like you know what you are talking about. :laugh:

OK, I think I need a nap now. I need a cot here at work so I can rest up.

impodave

Hey.....

I have a brochure that looks AOK in the preview, but when its sent to print, the type gets alll globby and unreadable.  I had a similar situation yesterday, but was able to correct by fixing the trap settings as you discussed above.  Its lighter reverse type in a darker photo background.  Any suggestions... 
Friday evening and Im still at work ...
Thanx....