News:

Main Menu

EPS and PDF settings

Started by Stiv, January 04, 2008, 09:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

I am on Rampage 10.5. We are revamping our EPS and PDF procedures and would be interested in knowing what you are doing.

What level of PDF are you using? 1.3, 1.4, etc.

Do you have settings that clients download?

I have some large jobs that I might export EPS w/OPI, w/images, and use PDFs in order to get some pages to RIP correctly. How could I get a client to submit a PDF and expect all the pages to RIP correctly? Not gonna happen. I prefer to get a PDF and the native files. But we want to have PDF options to download. I googled and reviewed a few Distiller settings that are on the web and have noticed that the specs are different. Some use 1.3 to flatten transparency and some are using 1.4.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?

almaink

You got 10.5 so forget about EPS it's dead. I am only running 10.4 but have always used PDF's. Since I got fast windows box and a G5 I don't bother with OPI or FPO anymore either. What I do since I don't have Preps or anything like it is make a page in InDesign the same size as my plate. Then I position the PDF's on the plate to the paper size. Them Export the whole thing as a PDF version 1.5 or 1.6 depending on whether or not it was done in CS2 or CS3. That keeps the transparency live and lets you rip it in RAMpage using the PDF trap engine. As far as sending presets to customers I tried doing that, but most customers forget they are there or don't use them anyway so I just request pressready PDF's with 1/8" bleed if needed. I have Pit Stop so if I need to I do the edits to their PDF and then place into Indy.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers